Tessa and I met up in Minneapolis, MN to fly on together; through JFK to get to Rome. I had a close call with airsickness on the third flight.. but thankfully got some Dramamine down in time to just pass out the rest of the 7 hours. We landed in Rome and were picked up by our chauffeur in a Mercedes (we thought we were hot stuff, but then we came to realize that Mercedes are like the Honda of Europe.. but we still loved it!), then taken to our hotel; the Hotel de Principi.
A concierge at the hotel gave us a map and circled all of the things we wouldn't see on our bus tour the next day, so we had some goals to meet. We took a taxi to the Vatican first, then walked the rest of the city, weaving in and out through streets that sometimes did and sometimes did not appear on the map we had.. Trying to avoid the speeding vespas, honking horns, and read the street names in the building sides was something all together different than experiences we've had in the US.
Vatican City:
Deciding not to pay the seemingly hundreds of Euros for a guided tour, we walked the 15 minutes around the gate to the front of the museum entrances, paying 15 Euros each, and being able to go as fast as we needed to, to make the rest of the sites before nightfall:
The Sphere:
a hallway full of statues:
one of the many domed ceilings:
Lots of these pictures I took just to be able to stare at later, just to buy us some time... I love seeing the detail in all of these carvings:
I cannot imagine how much time it took to weave these tapestries, or to paint these walls and ceilings. I kept thinking about the law of consecration in our church, and how we are supposed to devote our time, money and talents to the efforts of the church. These artists are a shining example of that to me! (I'm not certain all of them went unpaid, but I imagine they did)
The Sistine Chapel: I thought I had missed the Creation of Adam... but can you find it? Sure glad I broke the rules and took some pictures! ha!
Winding through the streets of Rome was one of my favorite experiences of the entire trip. Something so cozy about how small the alleys and streets are, people nestled in together, with gelato shops appearing out of nowhere, and the smell of Italian cooking in the air. Everything, delicious.
Piazza Navona:
The Pantheon:
Piazza di Montecitorio
Then we passed the Piazza Colonna, but I didn't get a picture..
The Fontana di Trevi, or Trevi Fountain, was absolutely brimming with sightseers (and it wasn't even high season yet!)
He said, "Kill me! Kill me!" (the sword was pretty hefty)
What I thought were the Spanish Steps... I was wrong, and Tessa knew it!
Here are the real Piazza di Spagna, looking back from where we'd come:
We made it back to the hotel before nightfall, but still took a taxi to avoid the big park, which the concierge advised us not to walk through at night. From our hotel we could see St. Peter's Basilica, but just barely in this picture:
5 comments:
WOW!!! How fun for you and Tessa to be able to go to ROME together!!! I am super jealous!
So much fun Jayci! I had no idea you were planning a trip to Rome! And a cruise?? What an amazing room!
Awww... I was there 5 years ago. Thanks for bringing me back. Love that you and your sis got to pal around in Roma!
How fun! Did Mark take leave to watch the children? I still haven't been able to leave him with the kids for that long, good job!
You're pictures just confirm that I want to go to Rome one day. Looks like so much fun and gorgeous.
Post a Comment