March 17, 2012

most scrumptious


I know it wasn't that long ago when I posted a recipe for my favorite butter cookies... but here is a sugar cookie recipe that I am now over the moon about. Due to the excessive amount of butter in these cookies, I think the two recipes should nicely exchange names.

Even though I've been trying to eat lighter and less and better and all that, I gave in to Mont's sweet pleas for us to make cookies. I didn't offer chocolate chip cookies, because I knew I would eat them all in two days. So I offered others.. 'Snickerdoodles?' 'Yep!' ... 'Or... Sugar Cookies?' 'Yep! Dos wans'

It was settled.

Searching on the web for a recipe I had seen not too long ago, I decided to give it a try, and thankfully I had grabbed another box of butter squares at the store the day previous.. I needed 5 sticks for this recipe! Don't worry... it makes a lot of cookies, so it spreads out. Or at least this is what I've told myself over and over again.

Without further ado.. here is the recipe for Cutler's Famous Sugar Cookies | Butter Cream Frosting:
Sugar Cookies: 
1 1/2 c butter (3 sticks)
2 c sugar
3 eggs
2 t vanilla
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
5 c cake flour*

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until blended well. Add dry ingredients and mix. To make dough easier to work with, chill before rolling! Roll to about 1/4 inch thick and form (cut) cookies and bake at 350ยบ for 10 minutes. Cookies are done when top is slightly cracked and no longer looks wet. Edges may brown.

*I didn't have cake flour (that's what I get for baking on a whim), so mine didn't get as fluffy or as crackled as they should... but goodness they were still so soft and tasty! I didn't even mind that they weren't bigger. The taste and texture was still very cake-like and delicious.

Butter Cream Frosting: 
1 c butter (another 2 sticks!)
4-5 c powdered sugar*
milk
1 t vanilla

Beat soft butter and powdered sugar together until smooth. Add a splash of milk and vanilla then blend well. Tint frosting with food color as desired. Decorate with sprinkles immediately after frosting.

*4-5 c really blends down into a small looking amount, but it did go far enough to have extra for me. Next time I'll be more liberal with my frosting and lay it on thicker!

.... go on and make 'em! Just have some people in mind to give them to afterwards... We kept all of them and now I have 7 lbs to go again instead of 5, dang it! But it was so worth it!

No comments: