October 23, 2012

working on it

There are lots of things I'm working on these days. Remember my post of motherhood where I advised myself to enjoy everything good and bad because moments are fleeting? I could use a dose of that right now, but I can't wrap my head around anything other than my pajamas are still on, Mont's in his big boy underwear, and Emmy keeps pulling my fingers to guide me around any time I sit down to accomplish anything, and it's thundering outside, making it all a little better for me. Buckwheat still has to go out for his mid day jaunt, and it's already 2:47 in the afternoon. He doesn't want to go out in the rain, and neither to I.. my pjs would get cold.

I've avoided posting to facebook, because I enjoyed the feeling of being a little more private while we were in our own little family world the last few weeks, but now that we're home, the routines are going again and so are the old bits of fun.

Emmy is balancing on a cubby box turned sideways, playing dolls while Mont is resting his cup of vegetable-fruit juice on his rounded exposed juice-belly. (I don't typically give them juice, but it's even got Emergen-C in it, and half water - I'm such a scrooge)

This is a bunch of rambled thoughts, but it feels good to get them out here. Follow along if you will.

Mont has always been a terrible, terrible sleeper, waking up no less than 5 times a night, and sometimes upwards of 15 times a night. Emmy is a very sound sleeper in comparison, gently lulling back to sleep if ever she wakes up. Mark has been gone a few nights, and last night I thought I should take advantage of the remaining few nights so maybe we can get some quiet when he comes home. Maybe.

Last night when Mont woke up 10 minutes after I got to bed (I accidentally fell asleep on the couch after the debate for an hour) at 12:00 midnight. What commenced after that was something I'd happily forget if ever given the opportunity. I told him that I would tuck him in, but that I needed to go back to my bed. He would plead with me to stay with him and cry and scream when I started walking out. Every time he got out of bed, there was commotion, noise, and punishments of some kind. Emmy woke up from 12:30 to 2:30, wanting to be comforted herself, but she was still doing better than her big brother. Mont continued on this sleepless rampage until 4:10 when I think he cried himself to sleep on his bed.. I'm not sure, because I fell asleep at about 4:20, not getting to check on his location one last time.

I've read a few different 'reports' on toddlers being sleep trained today and what I've decided is that because I've started I have to follow through this now until he's done; hopefully it won't take more than a few nights, but knowing our luck it will take months. This morning I was even thinking about locking him in the upstairs bedroom where he can hash it out and climb into bed if he wanted to, without disturbing Emmy or us too much. However, with his screaming he could wake up our neighbor's dead cousin.

Another thing I've picked up from my 'studies' today have been to stay really, really boring, and go back to their room with them over and over and over and over again. And again. It will be another night of no sleep for me, but I'm hoping he will be a little more quiet. Did I mention I got less than 3 hours of sleep in my bed last night? I'm not counting the nap I got on the couch (but thank goodness I did get that!).

Another thing I'm working on are my pictures.. I have too many on my computer, that it is so full, and can barely upload any more from my camera card. I am working on putting my pictures together in iphoto books, but then I still have to move the photos to the external hard drive, then it will be on to uploading the SD card!

I'm lucky my 'problems' are so minuscule.. but today, when I'm tired they seem monstrous! So here I sit, writing these thoughts down wondering if anyone with tips will stumble across this and bestow all their child know-how upon me through comments! :)

** for the Autumn in Washington - white won for me **

5 comments:

Unknown said...

motherhood is hard and is a 24 hour a day job! have you read "healthy sleeping habits, healthy child"? it SAVED me with jude and i still refer back to it when i need some reinforcement. it sounds like it would help you. it has information on children of all ages. we use the cry-it-out and it has been so much better for us and him!

Kaylie said...

I agree with Rachael...the "Healthy Sleeping Habits, Healthy Child" book was a lifesaver for us as well. I still refer to it frequently. Hope you're able to get some good sleep soon!

Chelsea said...

We reversed the lock- call me and I'll tell you about it sometime. I felt terrible at first but it worked!

Miranda said...

Apparently I have a heart of stone because I make my babies cry it out before they're 1! I can't even imagine how you're coping having years of sleep deprivation. You will be happier and your whole family will benefit from having a good night's rest. It's worth the struggle-- and it may take months, he's been doing this wake up routine for years, so be diligent! And buy some bendaryl. :) For you or him. :)

Brittany B said...

I'm so sorry. I'm dying because Molly is waking every 3 hours and that's still more sleep than you're getting. Definitely have to stick with it. The minute you give in, all your hard work is over. Even if you've been doing it a month, you'll have to start over so don't give up. I know some people use melatonin to help their kids calm down and go to sleep. Don't know how you feel about that. I haven't tried it but I know people that do.