April 5, 2007

experience of a lifetime

Today I had the most awesome experience I've had in quite some time. While I was driving to Chili's with my neighbor she asked if I would be able to go to her doctor's appointment with her for an ultrasound. And since I wouldn't mind being pregnant right now, and I want to work around medicine, I figured, "WOOHOO! my first baby ultrasound!" So I told her I would be able to. We went to her appointment and when the doctor started I was in disbelief at what I was seeing!! She is only about 22 weeks along, but the baby is about 12 inches long and 1.5 lbs (not even very big). No matter the size, I was still able to see the baby's facial features very clearly and he was moving his arms and rolling around - he looked VERY comfy in that space! I noticed it was a boy even before the doctor told us - yes, told us. Holly wanted it to be a surprise and was VERY upset when the doctor told us, "look! your husband will be happy if he wanted a boy!" :O I felt so bad for Holly! Then the doctor turned on the heart sounds - I teared up and it wasn't even my baby. There was something so spiritually amazing that this little person was growing inside of my friend - and that someday I'll have a little someone relying completely on me. It was very humbling and it made me want to be pregnant right then and there :P But only time will tell. ;) don't get any ideas! :-

I just wanted to write a note about how amazing I thought it was; it made pregnancies so much more real to me. I was so glad she asked me to go with her today. To say the least, it was life changing.

4 comments:

Jamie Smith said...

Jayci! You abot gave me a heart attack with that picture! I can't wait to see little Reeder babies when the time is right!

Rachel said...

I agree. Your first ultrasound IS life changing. It really is a miracle!

Anonymous said...

I yelped from excitment too when I saw it! False, but funny alarm...

Jayci said...

good to know i have readers! :P haha - maybe I should pull more stunts like that. I know - it was REALLY exciting! Jamie - when are you and Rod going to have little Smiths running around...when the time is right? ;)