July 17, 2010

hike XI: South Fork Waterfall

So I am beginning the hikes again. My goal of 50. I have only documented 10, even though I've done a few small ones since, undocumented. I have not forgotten my goal of 50. Yikes.. 

Anyway, hike 11 was South Fork Waterfall. I went with a couple girl friends of mine from the ward, and we went the easy route. I want to maintain some of my 'tough-girl' regard, so I won't explain how easy it was. But here are the pictures from my phone (Mark still had the good one packed up).

The bridge you cross runs over this roaring river. Narrow... but roaring! btw, in this picture, the water is coming towards, not away!


The waterfall... at the time of the hike, we didn't know the name of the falls, so they came up with "Wet Water Waterfalls." They didn't like my "Archibald's Waterfalls." (I think I had read something about an Archibald earlier that day)

These are the girlfriends I went with. Jodi on the left and Nicole with her boy, James on the right. My boy was sound asleep with his sleeping papa bear. I left a note and was off for a very short (and easy) hike/walk. It was great!

The only hard part was getting from the platform down to the falls.. my legs were pretty sore afterwards. Glad I didn't have my baby backpack! Mont would surely have had some bumps and bruises from tree branches we used to climb up/down with. James had a careful aunt with him to help guide his cute head around them.

Sorry about the sunny/misty glare on these. The mist was insane, and pretty refreshing. This was a look back up the wall we scaled. HA. Just kidding. We went up a trail-sorta-thing on the right of these pictures.

It was beautiful.

5 comments:

Jordan said...

looks GORgeous! As I'm sitting here in my un-airconditioned apartment while its 100* out I thought "they're all wearing PANTS on this hike?!" thinking that if I went on a hike today, even in the canyon, I might roast. I'm sure Alaska is much more forgiving in the summer time. ha! if you were here though, I'd totally make you float down the river with me :o) miss your FACE!

Mars said...

oooh! It's pretty!! I miss hiking and I would love to hike in a pretty place like THAT! 2 people in 1 hour had to be rescued off Camelback mtn here by heleicoper and firefighters because it was like 116* out and they went hiking at noon with 1 bottle of water. Dumb huh? I would never go hiking HERE in the summer unless it was at like 4 am and it would still be 90 something out.

Pierce Family said...

That was a fun hike! I totally loved it. I'd love to come on some other hikes with you to help you reach your goal!

MC Lewis said...

I think I may want to add this to my list of things to do in Alaska as well. Are hiking here in Vegas isnt the greatest. Yes we have Red Rock, but who the heck dares to go hiking in the summer here? Not I.

I am soooo excited that you guys will be there next July. Marks nephew is getting baptized around the 4th. So that will be our plans for now. We will for sure want to see you guys!!

Your right about the fish being a t.v. for Lana. Well I am sorry about your fish not making it. I wasnt aware of Mark not taking them with us when we got married until after the fact. I can post pictures and you and Mont can name them :)

Kristina said...

I love beautiful waterfalls. You live in a magical place!