August 11, 2011

road trip galore

Mark's training schedule has left some big open holes in his weeks, so we have been taking full advantage of this by going on spontaneous road trips. I never thought I'd be able to with kids, but it's proving quite doable; though, when they start their synchronized crying, I feel the regret start to bubble up inside me... but then they calm down and it always ends well with no regret in sight. After packing up the beef jerky and water bottles, here's where we've road tripped:

Muir Woods 
San Francisco (2)
Berkeley (3)
Lake Tahoe
Nevada City

Road trips right around the corner:

San Francisco 
Santa Cruz
Yosemite National Park
Disneyland (? - 8 hours away)

When we get 'home' and the kids fall asleep all I want to do is watch movies and eat m&ms. Oh, the memories..

What are your favorite road trips ever? Are they spontaneous? Do you plan them out months ahead of time? Maybe, both? What are your favorite snacks? Favorite road tunes? Favorite people to road trip with? Do you play any games in the car? Ever meet any really interesting people? See any funny animals?

ps - cool photo, eh? internet can take credit. 

4 comments:

The Family Stone said...

How fun! I want to road trip!!

Nicole said...

We road tripped all the time in the lower 48, including a 6 year run at our annual schlepp to Arkansas from Utah to see my dad. That is 20 hours in the car each way and I have done it with kids of all shapes and sizes (including my sister when she was still a teenager).

tip #1 always take a puke bucket lined with a plastic sack for easy clean up.

#2 favorite tunes for my kids was this unfortunate Mickey Mouse disney thiing that we lost somewhere. We once listened to primary music until my husband said we had to quit and I love anything by tori amos, but often get outvoted.

#3 to cover long distances leave at 4 am while the kids are asleep and stop at the hotel with the pool at 4 pm. Get a good dinner and relax

#4 get those fun magnet fold out things they have in toy stores of different scenes. My boys played with them for hours.

#5 gold fish, twizzlers, and combos are what we always had in the car. And diet pepsi and water in sippies

#6 LOW EXPECTATIONS!! Expect crying, puking, long stops and fights over crossing the "line" in the back seat. Expect all of this and you won't be disappointed that it wasn't "perfect."

#7 Mcdonalds happy meals provide a new unexpected toy that can often occupy a young mind for an hour in the car. Then secretly throw them away. Dollar store toys work too.

#8 I play the liscense plate game...try to see how many states you can get. In Yellowstone over 2 days I got all 50 once!

#9 Books! My boys would look at one book after another for long stretches of time at Mont's age. My mother in law would laugh at the huge bag of books we packed for under their seats, but they looked at them for hours.

Jessica said...

You guys are awesome! I've lived here practically my whole life and have only been to a few of those places and not super often... But then I don't like car rides very much. Maybe I just need to tell myself I can have movies and m&ms when I make it through them. :)

Kristina said...

Y'all have been so busy! I'm so jealous--you've been having a great time. Way to take advantage of all the time you've got this summer.