September 7, 2011

up with the sunrise


I read somewhere once that being able to witness the sunrise, being outside in that pure, early sunlight will bring enhancement to your day. Today I felt it, that energy and excitement of the day ahead. Nothing out of the ordinary was planned, and really, it was going to be a long day of work for Mark, which meant a long day of work for me with the kids; but I didn't mind. 

After dropping Mark off at class, and mailing off a letter at the Post Office, the three of us came home, threw open the kitchen window and made pancakes. Successfully this time. 

Before I knew it, we were dressed with minty fresh breath and headed for the park. The rest of the day has continued to go quickly, as I have had sufficient energy to keep up with it. I must credit the early morning sunshine; getting up and outdoors early really does have a nice affect on me. 

It's no wonder why my parents have always been early risers. I used to be... until I hit my teenage years, when the pillow held more allure for me than eggos with my dad. Why do teenagers have to be so impertinent? (I'm really just talking about myself) As a girl I used to love getting up early with my dad, waiting for him to get done getting ready after his swimming, then we'd sit at the kitchen table together. He'd cut up my eggos into small squares, and I would watch him read the newspaper. Those were the days... 

Now pancakes are a bit different than Eggos, yes, but I hope Mont and Emmy will look fondly back on these early mornings with their mom. 

3 comments:

rach said...

beautiful post.

The Mursets said...

I loved this post! You are such an amazing momma!

I totally hate getting up early, but I do it anyways to make pancakes for my own kiddos, I love making memories with them early in the morning when there is nothing to interrupt us.

Kristina said...

I love watching the sunrise. I prefer it to the sunset. The air is crisper, the light brighter and whiter. I saw the sunrise every morning of high school, driving to or from seminary.