I took a wrong turn about a month ago while trying to get to the city's airport, leading me to these ancient walnut orchards. In addition to being old, they simply dwarfed everything else I had seen so far in California. Just look at these beasts. It looks like another very old tree had been there once before, with these newer grafted trees on top.
In a small bit of research, it seems that walnut trees do not take well to being transplanted from a planter where it grew from seed, to an open orchard; something having to do with a deep taproot. It's so amazing that something so young and small, can be added to something so old, established, and deep. It certainly works wonders, though.
Silly enough, we are about to be transplanted again as Mark wraps up his training on his new aircraft. Just a few more weeks and I will say adieu to this lovely homegrown place in Wheatland, CA. The fruit stands here are to die for. And these black walnut orchards will soon be memories.



5 comments:
You have to move again!?!?! Oh man, that would be a hard place to leave.
Do you know for sure when you leave yet? Mom's development used to be a black walnut orchard, so some of the houses were built around the trees. Mom has a couple big ones in her backyard.
I miss those fruit stands too!! It is already getting cold here. It is no sunny California. Just warning you. I would try to see if Mark can do training a little bit longer. :)
-Christina
Gorgeous orchards! I love trees. They're so serene and beautiful. Great shots.
Post a Comment