I haven't yet decided if I'm done with this painting.. yesterday I nearly painted over it to start over because I did something weird with the layering look.. it was driving my crazy but I tried something and I think it saved it.
This is now at the point of: if I paint more I might ruin it or I might finish it.. I'm always afraid of this point. Last night I had to pack all the paints and brushes away again for dinner guests... and now I hit that point. Do I unpack it and try to finish a bit more? Or leave it. I have to decide.
It's been a year since I've painted anything (a picture, I mean), and I've been itching to do something.. itching like crazy! There's a friend of mine (It's your old neighbor, Sarah!) that lives down the street who has just begun a painting business and she's doing quite well with it. Not that I'll ever do the same thing, it's motivated me just the same. Last year while passing through Utah on our drive out here I got to talking with a good friend of mine (one of Mark's mom's bests) and offered to try to paint her a fruit / veggie of her choice.
"Tomato! .. Or watermelon! .. No, no, tomato. Oh, you choose."
When I started to ask what she likes about either, she said that she absolutely loves the red in the tomato, the juicy, ripe red color that is only found in a straight-from-the-garden-tomato.
It's taken a while for me to work up to this point of finally getting the paints out; digging through the containers in the garage, setting up temporary spaces is a pain. I'm just glad I finally did! I have to start the practice paintings so that when we go to a wedding this next week I can do one for a family reunion auction.. painting is SO enjoyable for me. I really do love it.
Well, I hope she likes it! Mark has a camera now that I think will be able to take great reproduction shots of my originals that I give away. I have given away quite a few that I wish I had better pictures of.. This is the beginning of an effort to keep better track of my art!
(if I add more to this painting I'll update the pic)
7 comments:
I love this one Jayci. You captured "tomato red" quite perfectly, and grey is so "in." Love it.
Leave it! It think it looks perfect! I love how simple it is.
Megan
BEAUTIFUL jayci. once again i am astounded, not only by your amazing talent, but by your humility regarding it.
I do have a question though. Where is the tomato? It looks like it is sitting on a rock in the dark. How did you pick the setting?
Megan
Megan - its supposed to be a wood cutting block.
Megan - its supposed to be a wood cutting block.
So very talented! Keep it up Jayci, even if it only random times that you are able to work. It will give you and outlet to provide happiness for yourself and others.
Post a Comment