March 9, 2013
nakin' boy
First off, thanks for all your suggestions in comments, texts, and messages. I really have a lot to think about and ideas to go off. I don't think it's a medical thing, as he can hold it for hours and hours during the day. After a day of running around, he is his most thirsty in the late afternoon hours and cries and screams for water when we withhold it, even if he has been drinking through the day (not even excessively. He just likes water.). Even on nights where he doesn't drink a whole lot, I think he wakes up mostly out of the desire to just be up and do something. I'm not quite sure. We think if he were a heavier sleeper, he would wind up wetting the bed. I guess I'm grateful he is getting himself to the toilet for that reason. We've moved a small bose radio into their room and have been playing some soft music as they fall asleep, and that has helped for the past three nights. Also, the last three nights have been more restful; but probably due to the fact that he hardly slept at all last week! We shall see what comes of this.
I don't know if I could put him back in pull-ups/diapers.. he's accomplished this huge thing, and I don't want to take that away from him as a source of confidence, turning it into a failure (I know someone who this happened to, and the kid never bounced back quite the same..). So probably, I'll just have to stick it out, and outlast him. And go to bed earlier myself (10 or earlier). Something I've never liked doing..
On to the original reason for this post: My nakin' boy. He has a lot of different names for himself, this Mont boy of mine. But when he's naked, he becomes, "Naked Boy" of course. When it's morning time and he demands bacon for the reason that he is, "Bacon Boy!" Then there is also the time where he is really enjoying his cookie, and he calls himself the "Cookie Boy!" (this stems from his Uncle Michael who was dubbed The Cookie Boy out of his sheer adoration for the food). Not the most original of names, but he still loves these designated titles. Similar to Superman or Batman, I assume.
This particular occasion, my nakin' boy ran off to hide after using the bathroom (he strips down completely still whenever possible). Lovely.. I could not find him anywhere, and I couldn't even hear him giggling! Which is normally how I trace him through the house.
Fiiiinally I found him, in a place I had already glanced over. But even then I had to take a second look. When I reassured myself that I had in fact spotted his face, I made him hold still! don't move! while I ran to get the camera because I could not believe how stealthily he had been hiding. This is one for the record books for my funny little three year old. He's quickly becoming our hide and seek master!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's good that he isn't going a lot in the day. I was concerned about that and it relieves me to know it isn't happening both night and day.
Maybe remind him to be 'water boy' earlier in the day and throughout so he isn't so thirsty closer to bed time. I wouldn't resort to pull-ups either. He's got the right idea and he's doing it right...it just happens to be waking you up. It's just a phase and before you know it he'll either be able to do it all on his own or his bladder will be able to hold more. :)
Tony and I joke that we haven't gotten a good nights sleep in 7 years (SJ's age). And sometimes I feel like I'm up half the night between the 3 of them...bad dreams, little DJ's sleep walking(?), or big DJ's rocking while he's sleeping...which we always have to respond to that or he'll do it off and on for awhile. SJ is finally a really good sleeper, but still has bad dreams on occasion.
Actually, we also joke how Tony gets his best sleep when deployed, so at least he's gotten some sleep these last few years. ;)
Such a great picture! And I just read your other post...I don't know how you do it! I'm a complete nightmare with no sleep. Hadley is my terrible sleeper and over the last month I've finally buckled down and made her stay in her own bedroom all night long. We do a sticker chart where she gets one every night that she stays in her bed. The first week I only made her do 4 days in a row, and then took her to the store to pick out any toy she wanted(within reason). It was a bit grand for only a few days but I wanted her to see that I was serious about it. After that we made a new chart and she had to do 2 weeks. And now we are on our 3rd chart for 3 weeks. This time I've already got a toy for her and I put it in a box all taped up so she can't see whats in it, but it's always on the kitchen table just waiting. I shake it every now and then for effect, ha!
Anyway, it's worked well for her. She's a bit older than mont by a few months and honestly 6 months ago this probably wouldn't have worked. But anyway.
Also she always strips down too so I let her sleep naked. I encourage her to at least just put her undies back on but if it doesn't happen, oh well. And when I was helping her at night, there was no hand washing, lol. I made it as quick and un-interruptive as possible.
Now that I've written a book...:)
I think youre doing a great job and I really hope you get some sleep soon!
Oh! And this may be terrible parenting but I have my girls sleep with their Leapster game things under their pillows and if they wake up early in the morning or whatever they've been told to just play with them quietly until I'm up and ready to deal. Maybe program the TV with cartoons or something?! Great parenting advice, I know:)
Post a Comment