May 8, 2010

a happy weekend

Motherhood..

Messy.
Crooked, toothless, eye crinkling, nose wrinkling smiles.
Happiness and joy. 
Sleepless, tired nights that drain us all. 
Wrestling tickle matches that I always win. For now.
Hugs and eating shoulders, kisses, slobber, wet noses, or tears.
Diapers. 
Stinky diapers. 
Missing socks that somehow he stashes for chewing on later. 
Green beans? yuck. Bananas and oatmeal? yes, please.
Tears cried by both Mont and myself, 
crocodiles tears and happy alike.
Naps; 3 hours long or 5 minutes short. 
Grabbing hair, jewelry, keyboards, cookies, and clothes.
Bath time. Rubberduckie. Washcloths. Splashes.
Protection of someone so small, sweet and 
dependent can turn any woman into a momma bear.
Overwhelming sense of pride and joy 
when Mont makes someone else happy. 
Small things become great. 
Measurements are no longer measured in years 
(at least not for now). 
They are measured in moments. 
Colors are brighter.
Joys are more joyful.
Love is more overwhelming.
Life is more vivid.
Excitement is more FUN.
Dancing has more bouncing.
Singing has more shrieking.
Laughing has more hiccups.
And smiles are more plentiful.

Happy Mother's Day to my mother. 
To my mother-in-law. 
To my Grandmothers. 
To my Grandmothers-in-law. 
To all mothers. 
To those who are trying to be mothers. 
To all who have loved like a mother.
Happy Mother's Day.

*PS - when I took this picture, Mont had; 
...rolled off the bed (bump on his forehead)
...been awake for 6.5 hours
...had just eaten
...already used this bib to try green beans
...lost a sock
...cut a tooth
...and laughed nearly all day
... .. exhausted himself, utterly.

8 comments:

Rachel Lybbert said...

I love this picture! He looks rather annoyed that you made him eat those green beans, and I love how he's not only missing a sock but the other one's on it's way out as well! He is so cute!

MC Lewis said...

I was looking back at your pictures from your house. What color did you paint the guest bathroom ( I think that was it). It looks like a grayish color.

Mars said...

Haha I love the messy face, missing sock with the other about to fall off, etc. Day in the life of mr. M. What a cutie-even after a rough but playful day-such a trooper! He's SO SO CUTE!

defining amy said...

i love everything about this post. i love how beautifully you write about motherhood. you are beautiful. xo.

aubreyannie said...

oh jayci! this was beautiful. absolutely poetic and wonderful. you are such the amazing mother..taking it all in and doing your best and loving every minute. you are fabulous. i hope you had a fabulous mother's day you sweet mama!!

Chelsea said...

picture. perfect.

Amy said...

Seriously this picture could be an ad or greeting card. I love it.

Kristina said...

As usual, the picture is so cute. Mont has the best expressions.
And you make me wanna be a mom so bad!