January 17, 2012
growing a testimony
Sunday during church, while hip bouncing a restless Emmy in the hallways, my Bishop suggested we 'take care of that interview' while we were both free. In our church, there is a little card that is given to endowed members, meaning those who have been found worthy to go to the temple, and I hadn't had one for several months; you see, mine expired during the process of having a baby, moving twice, and all the craziness that goes along with that. Here's the little process' breakdown:
1. an interview with a member of the bishopric or branch presidency (the leaders of the congregation you attend).
2. a second interview is held with a member of the stake presidency (the leaders of a group of congregations, one of which you attend).
3. when all the questions are answered, conversation is exchanged, and a laugh is had, they fill out a sacred little card, then present it to you.
It is an entrance card, if you will, to being admitted into our temples. It is a very special and sacred opportunity to be admitted into the Lord's house here on Earth.
While in the interview with my stake president, he asked me if I have a testimony. Simple enough of a question - I answered, "yes." Then he asked me what I was doing to help strengthen that testimony. When he asked, Emmy was crawling all over my lap, clawing at my skirt and trying to reach my shoes. I laughed and said something about how I try to get more quiet, calm moments for scripture study.. he laughed too. He understood what I was saying.
I reassured him that however my days or weeks are, in some way or another, my testimony is always growing. Last year was a big year for my testimony of prayer. The sheer power of prayer is immense in its strength, and I learned a bit more about what it means for me to have faith and hope when praying.
This year, as I am now a den mother for a few young scouts, and a mother to two growing children, and a wife to a devoted husband and father, I hope I can have the influence they need. Hopefully through projects and scripture studies, stories, songs, and games, I can help their testimonies grow in some small [or great] way, and have mine strengthen right along with theirs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
that was beautiful. :) that is my goal with my baby! it is so humbling to have a little angel straight from heaven. i know it is my responsibility to rekindle the fire of his testimony on this side of the veil. :)
You're a beautiful work in progress. xoxo
what a beautiful reminder of how important it is to always be working on strengthening our testimonies no matter how busy our lives are. thank you!!
Loved this! I also love that we do grow and that we have the power to change. Thank you for your testimony.
Post a Comment