![]() |
| 5 points awarded to whomever can find Buckwheat |
Toys... are another favorite around here. Setting up late Christmas Eve, with some help from jolly ole' Saint Nick, was full of laughter for us. We were trying to build this tower over there near the bottom, and it just wasn't working for me; Mark came to my aide and showed me how to use the "door stop" pieces and even went so far as to put Santa's gift of dinosaurs all over it. Even the dragon had a nose-bleed seat way up top - those wings are good for something after all, eh, Dragon?
This lovely little, partly burnt out tree has been with us since our first Christmas together as a newly established Reeder family. We purchased it while in Del Rio, TX as Mark was
A week ago I made a yummy sugar cookie recipe which I discovered earlier this year; but I made it with a "self-rising flour" instead of "cake flour" - no no no!!! I didn't realize why at the time, but it tasted a bit off. Come to find out, the "self-rising flour" has extra baking powder in it... which the recipe had already included. They tasted as sugary as an old pair of jeans. OH! it was embarrassing. So I took them to Cub Scouts and fed them to the wolves (literally. the Cub Scout Wolves ate them like they were the best thing ever. Only one little girl (it was pack meeting) told her mom [whom I was sitting next to], "I don't like my cookie." haha!)
But to make up for my unsuccessful cookies, I had to make something to share with a few people around base! So I made these old-fashioned, spiced oatmeal-raisin cookies. They remind me so much of Williamsburg, VA at Christmas time. (recipe below)
If you don't follow down through to the recipe, but made it this far, I hope you had the merriest of all Christmases. Heartache was prevalent throughout this special month with everything that has happened, in states abroad there was horrific tragedy, and family losing a dearly beloved grandmother. Yet in the midst of all the darkness... joy. There were bits of Christmas magic sprinkled throughout the month, even has trying as it was. I pray that everyone found that bit of magic I'm talking about.
Merry Christmas!
Spiced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- 1 c butter, softened
- 1 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground cloves
- 1/2 t salt
- 3 c rolled oats
- 1 c raisins
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. (I cover sheets with aluminum foil - don't grease that either).
2. Bake 10 - 12 minutes until light and golden on bottom. Do not over bake. Let them cool for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheets to cool completely. Store in something airtight if they last longer than 20 minutes before being gobbled up.


3 comments:
I found Buckwheat!
Megan
right under the tv!
By the mini trampoline!!
This is completely magical. How excited they must have been!
Post a Comment