December 1, 2012

christmas cookies | white chocolate + dried cranberries


This morning after trimming our tree, the kids helped me make Christmas Cookies. They watched and begged for cookie dough while I mixed ingredients and said, "just a moment, please!" over and over again. Two years ago while we were in Alaska still, the young women thought they were being stealthy ding-dong-ditchers and left some delectable cookies on our stoop. I never got that mysterious recipe (no one knew where those particular cookies came from), but I've never forgotten how delicious they were. This year, thanks to the famous pinning website, I discovered a recipe that was oh-so-similar. I gave it a shot, altering just a couple things. The review I give this recipe is 5 out of 5 stars, and Mont, Mister Picky Pants, even ate them with the craisins. I couldn't believe how many he wanted, I was so pleased.

Word of advice: double it if you intend to share! These cookies I made in the pictures are very small; about an inch and a half in diameter. Bite size! Only made about 3 1/2 dozen of these small cookies.


Here is the recipe for all my sweet Instagramers who requested it. And for my own future reference: 

3/4 c salted butter, softened
3/4 c light brown sugar
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 extra large egg
2 t vanilla extract
2 c all-purpose flour
2 t cornstarch
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
3/4 c white chocolate chips
1/2 c dried cranberries (craisins)

•line an ungreased cookie sheet(s) with aluminum foil, set aside. 

•with a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides when needed. Then on a lower speed, mix in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Stir in the white chocolate chips and dried cranberries. 

•preheat oven to 350ºF. Drop balls of dough onto cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until barely golden brown around the bottom edges. Remove and let cool on the cookie sheet, then transfer to cooling rack. 

•wait until cookie sheets are cool before dropping the new cookie dough balls onto them, or drop them right before you're ready to put them in the oven. 



I don't often stray from my favorite cookies, but these are a home run, slam-dunk sort of cookie. My neighbor texted me twice saying she loved them, and Mont kept asking for more throughout the day - both are evidence enough for me to say these are a new favorite in this house! Now if only Mark were home to taste them too. I'm sure they won't last until Sunday. Oh well, guess I'll have to make more. 

A note about the plate in the pictures: 
This plate carried the very first batch of cookies I ever received from a neighbor, welcoming us to Frazier Street in Del Rio, TX. Her Grandmother used to paint plates, and this was one she never painted, but rather used to set her brushes on. To this day there are still smudges of old and forgotten colors, and I hope never to part with it. For me it signifies good values, kind women, sweet treats, and warm kitchens. It has been woven into my memories of military life, both stormy and sweet. Happy baking everyone, I dare you to make a neighbor smile with these sugary delights.

2 comments:

The Mursets said...

I just made these with your recipe...PERFECTION! Don't change a thing people, just make some right now!!!! They are soooooooo yummy! Thanks for sharing your recipe Jayci!

Amy said...

Mmmmm, I'll have to try them.