February 23, 2013

ever in my favor

via

Oh say whatever you want to say about me being years late to this craze.. but I'm reading them. And loving them. The first one I listened to via audiobook on itunes was when I had my eye surgery (still haven't posted on that.. not sure you want me to!). I loved the "reading talent" of Carolyn McCormick, and looking her up just now, she is just how I pictured she would be. The second book I read the old fashioned way, but found myself hearing the voice of Ms. Carolyn reading the words, so I decided I'd better just call ahead and request for the audiobook to be sent to the library for the third book in the trilogy. That's where I am now: Disc 1, Track 3.

This is where this post is now changing gears.. The real reason for this post has very little to do with any book series. Gotcha.

I have always been a fan of audiobooks, but they are so dang darn pricey! $25 for the first Hunger Games audiobook.. unabridged, but still. That was a bit of a stinging-dollar-bullet for me to bite, since I rarely read/listen to a book more than once. But because of the eye surgery and needing to listen to something completely captivating, I gave in and justified the purchase as a 'necessary entertainment.' ha! There had to be an easier, cheaper way..

The library! That is where I checked out the third book's audio recording, read by the great Ms. Carolyn. Ding ding ding!! Free for checkout to boot.

Uploading the discs on to my laptop, to then transfer to my phone for easy listening anywhere and anytime, I thought would be a simple enough process, if not time consuming.

Time consuming was right! My laptop is now aged and vintage, but not like a fine wine. The kids have unwittingly knocked it off the coffee table, tripped over it (I'm getting much better and making sure it's completely under the couch when not in use nowadays), dropped objects onto it (thankfully never liquid), etc. It has seen better days, but still is holding out strong for the most part. It is now a 6 year old macbook pro, and is mostly working like a champ. The only thing is that the cd drive is no longer 100% reliable; if the disc has any scratches, small or otherwise, it will struggle with reading them.

This is getting too long!!

Long story short... after hours of searching for different options of how to get that dang audio book on my dang phone, (even my phone won't hook up to my computer since it missed a major software update - what? Thanks a lot apple. Same goes for an external CD drive.) I decided to ditch the new technologies of our current day and jump back a couple decades.

I ordered a Discman. Whoa... watch out. Did I just turn 85 or 27 last November?

Really, though. Think of all the things I can be doing while listening to a book instead of on a couch with my eyes glued to a book and my fingers clutching at it. Waiting to find some scrap of an answer to any mystery that might have befallen the heroines! Dramatic, yes, but imagine doing all of this while sewing or painting, or exercising! The possibilities are nearly endless... no Pinterest while listening, however; that is too distracting as it all too attention grabbing. But most everything else - folding laundry! See? The list goes on.

Anyone else out there in the same funny boat as myself? Probably not. But if there is, and by some shred of bad luck you find yourself in my stupidly-stressful dilemma, just know I'm putting all of my pennies on the walkman's odds being ever in its own favor. ha - Happy Hunger Games! Until the batteries give out.

4 comments:

LMemory said...

I laughed out loud at your final solution at the end of this post. Discman!!! You, Jayci, are a doll :)

Kristina said...

HAHA! You bought a discman. Were you actually able to find a new one? I'm glad you are liking the series. It's SO strinkin' good.

Anonymous said...

I tried to download an audiobook from the library too, and it said I didn't have updated software. I haven't tried it on my phone yet. But I should probably try because I definitely spend too much time reading ebooks from the library. I don't know if I am as dedicated as you and will get a Discman though. :) Love Hunger Games. Miss you guys! -Christina

Darci Buhl said...

So funny! I'm totally with you. I recently switched back to VHS for my kids' movies(okay and a few of my old favorites) and it's life changing. In a good way!
I feel like I either need to jump back a few decades or go all in and spend lots of money/time getting with the times of new technology. Obviously the latter sounded too complicated so here I am with a VCR!

I'm just impressed that you attempted the whole mp3 thing. Still can't wrap my head around how to use those, ha!