![]() |
| online |
Every child character has a vice that is most often found in childhood. Every child meets their fate in some unfortunate way because they were selfish or disobedient to the council given to them by either their parent or their guide, Mr. Wonka. I haven't read the book it's based on yet, and as I'm writing this, I'm sure I better read it soon in order to find what more is available from the mind of Roald Dahl - not sure what's taken me so long! Perhaps I can get the audio for my new Discman. Yes!
Here's the list of children and what we like to tell little Montoya when he's not being his nicest:
Veruca Salt: This despicable girl says, "I want" about 4,000 times throughout this movie, give or take a couple. Mont calls her "the bad egg," which is ever so appropriate. Whenever Mont demands something with the phrase, "I want, I want" we say, "Oh, Veruca! No thank you. Please don't say, 'I want.' Please ask nicely. Say, 'Mama, may I please have...?' Then he does. If he doesn't, then we bring up The Garbage Shoot: because Veruca was such a bad egg and used the terrible phrase, "I want," she went down the garbage shoot. This will calm Mont down quite quickly. His eyes get big and he says, "I don't want to go down the garbage shoot. I want to be a nice boy, like Charlie." Even when times call for the "want" word, we will still try to have him use the words, "I would like... ." For example, when Santa asks, "What do you want for Christmas, little boy?" We tell him he should answer with the "I would like..." phrase. Gosh, reading this later we sound so strict.
Violet Beauregarde: This little smarty pants is a nose picker and a constant gum chewer (the gum chewing really isn't a problem for little Mont, though he does enjoy his occasional peppermint chewing stick).
*Just for fun, 5 hours after starting this post, I googled Willy Wonka's Children's dot dot dot and the 7 Deadly Sins came up. That answers a whole lot. I better read the book, but just for fun I will continue with my post, regardless! After I'm all done jotting this down I will go through that idea and see which deadly sins were assigned to each child. Pretty funny.
Back to Violet: Every time Mont's little nose starts to bother him enough that he feels he cannot wait for a piece of bathroom paper to fix it, we tell him, "Mont! Don't turn into a blueberry!! If you pick your nose you might turn into a blueberry!" To which he responds, "No! No blueberries!" ha ha
Mike Teevee: well... too much tv! He might get sucked in, turned into a million pieces and never be put back together again!
Augustas Gloop: glutony - Mont looooves his "cocoa" (Carnation Instant Breakfast Mixes + Milk). He asks for it literally morning, noon and night. But if he drinks too much he might get sucked into a cocoa river and pulled up into a tube and get stuck! Oh my.
Thankfully One: we haven't had to use the last two anecdotes.. yet. I'm sure there will come a day, probably tomorrow.
Thankfully Two: Mont really likes Charlie and how nice he is. We love to point out how hard Charlie works for money, and how he loves candy more than everyone else because he worked so hard to get it. When he gets the ticket, he is SO happy and SO surprised! He loves his mother and grandparents, and is always kind and sweet. When Mont is nice, he loves to hear that he is nice like Charlie (or Dino Dan, but that's unrelated!). Because Charlie isn't vindictive or prideful in the end, he gives back his candy, and wins the Wonka Game.
Oh this movie has so many lessons to be learned.. I am so looking forward to the book and one day reading the book to Mont. Having a boy like Mont is such a fun little adventure. His imagination is always turning and spinning. Now if only we could get him to focus in on lessons and singing time in Primary instead of his mom sitting behind the piano!

No comments:
Post a Comment