Bed Head
1. My pillows have been slowly turning into rocks every night, despite my best fluffing efforts. Do you have favorite pillows? If they are feather pillows... how do you get the feathers to not occasionally come out and prick you in the face? Mark uses a memory foam pillow (with the 2 different neck height options on top and bottom), but even the lower side still gives me a sore neck. Suggestions?
Yuck to Yum?
2. Mont is a picky little eater. He likes shredded cheese, peanut butter on wheat thins, syrupy (not too syrupy - he has his limits by which I am shocked b/c I love the syrup!) breakfast foods, granola bars, oatmeal, toast, milk, pretzels, chips, Carnation hot chocolate (hello vitamins!), cookies and chocolate.
Sometimes he likes string cheese (the last few days he's not been a fan - I guess he ate himself sick of it), sometimes he likes yogurt, sometimes he likes pizza, sometimes he likes pasta, sometimes he likes taco meat, sometimes he likes baby food (I'll give it to him when he'll eat it - only way he'll eat vegetables and fruit) sometimes he likes nutri-grain bars, and sometimes he likes what I eat.
I know the "he'll eat when he's hungry" but I have different questions.. I'm thinking about ways I can trick Mont into eating healthy foods. For instance, I want to try the V8 fruit juices with the veggies in them.. has anyone tried them, and liked them? Or any other healthy sneaker tips like carrots in the brownies?? haha.. Or any tips at all on what to feed picky toddlers?
It's a good thing he likes taking his vitamins every day (blah! - have you ever tasted baby tri-vitamins!? How does he like those and not pizza?!)
?s
3. I know I have more.. but I am drawing a blank. There may be more of these "reeder questionnaires!"
15 comments:
That's so funny you posted this cause I just bought those V8 fruit/veggie juices for the first time for my picky eater, kai. I got the strawberry banana flavored one and he LOVES it! I got light though cause there is less sugar. and he still LOVEd it!
Love the V8 juices. Every flavor we've tried has been yummy, and I'm surprised to read what veggies are in there.
I looked through your house pics. Very lovely home. :)
I've been meaning to try the Deceptively Delicious recipes. But haven't diligently yet.
I do like to do little things with veggies like add corn to chili or beans to quesadillas. I've heard of spinach in fruit smoothies...been meaning to try that one.
I find that if there is something to dip veggies in that helps the process. And I just keep offering veggies at meal times. Which has paid off cause they finally eat the carrots!!
I've heard Deceptively Delicious is a great resource. I don't own it, but I bet it's just what you're looking for!
I've been making a lot of the recipes from ourbestbites.blogspot.com. I did theire "banana" ice cream, and both kids loved it. I put my frozen bananas in my chopper not the blender. Also have made their hot pockets and Jameson loved those, too. Not going to lie, I ate most of them. Will he eat fruit cups? I've recently started buying Healthybaby, Plum baby, and Ella's Kitchen baby food. More for convience, but they taste way better than Gerber. Umm... I'll keep thinking.
Oh, as for pillows... I bought Kevin a knock off temperpedic pillow, wait till he breaks it in, and then I use it. Then it's softer, but not flat.
Keep using the memory form pillow (only if it's a nice one) and eventually you'll get used to it, and you won't ever be able to sleep without it!
I have the deceptively delicious cookbook. You don't need to buy it to get the point: puree vegetables and hide them in your recipes. Some of her recipes I think are good, but the others I don't think I would ever make. I can send you her brownies w spinach or her choc chip cookies with chickpeas one if you want. But really, just make the things your family already likes and hid some puree in them (heck, why puree all that yourself when you can go out and buy some baby food...mix some of that in mont's yogurt, some squash in the mac n cheese, or whatever!)
in answer to your question, i just put ryan in some cheap, hand-me-down tennis shoes. That way I don't flip when they get wet and muddy. Some day I need to get him some rain boots.
We have feather pillows and we love them. At first they used to poke us in the face, but then we bought a pillow case liner and then put a pillow case over that and now they never poke. You could also just double pillow case them and that would probably do the trick.
I usually don't comment when I'm trying to hurry and catch up on all the blogs I've missed... BUT... mother-in-law suggested latex pillows (?? now that I'm saying it, it doesn't sound right) but they retain their shape forever... they're quite bounce-backable! We got ours when we got married and they aren't even a smidge flattened. I used to have a feather one, but it did start going flat in the middle no matter how I poofed it. So, I've been pleased. If you take the pillowcase and the zippable pillow cover off, the material is kind of a sticky foam type thing with holes in it... if that helps. Ha. Bed, bath and beyond I believe!
Deceptively Delicious is a great cook book for family meals and it's focus is hiding vegetables in meals. Mostly by by using puree's. The author is Seinfield, but I can't remember her first name. :) As far as V8 goes, I do the same thing! The V8 splash tastes a little better but it has more artificial additions where as if you get the V8 or V8 Fusions (which my family prefers) its just fruit and veggies. Hope it helps!
Looks like you got tons of great comments already! Tyler has one of those memory foam pillows and loves it (it hurts my neck, and I hate it!)...You will have to update me on what works for you!
As far as the veggie thing, I use the fine grater and grate carrots into pasta sauce, and sometimes wilt chopped spinach into it with some cheese. My kids love plain broccoli, and lots of other things, so I lucked out. I mostly have to sneak the veggies in for my hubby (HA!). I also substitute unsweetened applesauce for the oil a lot in baked goods.
i add frozen spinach to scrambled eggs, pureed butternut squash mixed with applesauce (which he can spoon feed himself), add blueberry flaxseed to his yogurt, etc.
one of my friends just makes smoothies when her kids need an extra boost. you can add carrots, cabbage, whatever with fruits and they will drink it. carrot apple juice is delish. also, sometimes ronin will spit foods out, i scoop it back up, and put it back in his mouth, sometimes up to 3 times. it sounds gross, but then he'll eat it. i just say, ok, just one bite and you can have some sauce (apple) and then i'll do it over and over. ha. sometimes it's just getting them used to new textures. also, if his hands are distracted with a toy, he'll mindlessly eat almost anything i stick in his mouth.
with pizza, now he eats peppers and zuchinni, he woudn't touch them plain before but w/cheese on wheat crust, it works.
oh, and hummus on pita/chips is good too!
I read this post a few days ago but came back to read all of the comments because I have the same questions!
One of the things I do is add dehydrated spinach(I got a big can of it last time I was in Utah) and add it to everything. It looks like parsley so my kids think it's just a spice and eat it up. You can put it in anything and it doesn't really change the flavor at all.
My kids also love muffins so I try to make ones with oats or bananas so that something good is in there.
Oh and your house is beautiful, by the way! I'd totally live there:)
You are too cute Jayci! We put pureed cauliflower in our Mac and Cheese. You just steam the cauliflower until soft and put in the food processor. Then you spoon into ice cube trays and freeze putting them into a freezer bag when frozen. We add about 2 cubes per box and then children can't tell the difference!
I make carrot juice and add apples and about 2 handfuls of spinach(which only comes to about 1 tablespoon of spinach juice) and it's great! Happy food hiding for Mont!
My sister-in-law has a very picky eater too and she has found a few tricks to sneak in veggies. He eats grilled cheese sandwiches so she smashes up squash and spreads it in the sandwich before grilling. Not too much. It's the same color as the cheese and it's not enough to really change the flavor. She also mixes mashed veggies in his ketchup. Again, not too much but he can't even taste a difference. Don't know if those will work for you but good luck. =)
Post a Comment