October 10, 2011

10 hours

Donner's Pass, CA
Wednesday morning of last week was the day we made the long drive from north of Sacramento, California to Salt Lake City, Utah... we were ready for 12 hours in the car, but somehow made it in only 10, and hit some inclement weather along the way, too. The kids did so wonderfully, I can hardly believe it. Very little crying, if at all (can't even remember right now), and lots of excitement.

Lake Bed, NV
The landscape was absolutely beautiful in the shadows of the clouds. Clouds make everything that much prettier, so we were in love with all that we saw. I took all these pictures from the back seat while Mark drove for the first half and last hour or two of the trip.

More of the same
When the kids napped for a few hours in the afternoon, I hopped in the drivers seat and subtly changed the 'noise' to my music, and enjoyed my time to myself while Mark caught some shut eye too. I love driving... I love it! And good music makes it even that much better.

Nevada's flat lands
 I did get nervous when we neared Utah and hit some wet snow. It felt so much different than Alaska's snow.. it was thick, and the car would lurch when the wheels would hit it on the road. I slowed significantly and reminded myself that I could do it.. I have to say, I miss Alaska's ice and dry snow.. I was used to it. Wet snow is a different ball game.
Hills of the Sierras
 When we passed the Nevada State Line, my heart sped up a bit and I sang as much as I could remember of the state song, "Home Means Nevada" - my dad can sing / hum it much better than I can. I loved driving through the beautiful hills of the Sierra Nevadas... beautiful (see above picture and below).

Pre- Rockies / Sierra Nevadas
 There was a lot of different weather, and as we would rise and fall with the altitude, we could really see the change in patterns. Snow to rain, to partly sunny. It really made the drive more interesting.

The Great Salt Lake
I think Mark called these parts of the banks of the Great Salt Lake. There were people wind surfing on these rough, windy, and shallow waters. The colors were fantastic, though..

Utah's Rockies
Entering the Rockies was a lot of fun, too. Seeing Northern Nevada was really exciting for me, as I spent my entire first 18 years in the southern part of the state. My mother had a photography book of the Nevada cowboys, and the country always looked so beautiful as I'd turn the pages.. now I've seen it for myself.

3 comments:

Darci Buhl said...

I LOVE that picture of Donner Pass. It makes me miss Reno and Tahoe so much! Glad you made it safely:)

Nicole said...

Love the pictures. The whole time I lived in UT I missed my trees of Homestate NY. Now in treelined Alaska pictures of the plains speak to my soul.

Kristina said...

Gorgeous. I love the west. Even desert-y Nevada is so pretty. I love driving too, but only during the day. I don't mind driving at night, except my eyes get tired faster so I can't drive for as long of stints. Glad y'all made it safely! And that seriously makes me laugh that you think Utah snow is wet!