December 13, 2011

squash the healthy, up the spice

While in California over the summer, a local fruit stand sold some gigantically delicious yellow squash that I went back every Thursday for. I have always liked yellow squash, my mom used to steam the slices then top it with a bit of butter, salt, pepper and parmesan. I didn't have a steamer in our ill-equipped kitchen, but I did have an oven. So baking them is just what I did (broiling them would probably have been pretty tasty, too). Here's what I do when I want a spicy, deliciously healthy snack:

1. slice 'em up nice and thin. 

2. salt and pepper where you're going to lay them down
3. in a single layer, spread the slices out
4. spice them with: salt and pepper, garlic powder, cayenne powder
5. top with shredded parmesan cheese
6. bake at 375 for about 13 - 15 minutes

... if you try it, hope you like it!
* see the empty spot with the fork resting there?
I couldn't even wait until I took a picture;
forgot what I was doing!

2 comments:

hairyshoefairy said...

Ooh. That does look good. I love yellow squash. Usually I just saute them in olive oil with s&p but I think next time I pick one up I'll try baking them like this.

MC Lewis said...

That looks really good! I really learned to love yellow squash when we moved to Utah. I cant wait to try this!