July 17, 2012

Bodrum, Turkey

June 10 -
Otherwise known as the day we rode the camels!

Mark has been oh so many places throughout the world, some of which I am content to pass on, but others, such as Turkey, has been on my 'to-visit' list for a while now; ever since he was deployed shortly after Mont was born and I nearly went to visit, but didn't. Waking up and watching us slow into the port, it was exciting for me. Turkey is partly Muslim, but also, it is Christian. There was a man, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, who liberated Turkey and created a Secular Republic. You can read an article about it here if you'd like. This freed women and allowed them to become educated and work along side the men. This freed men and women from having the obligations to pray when told to, and allows them to pray whenever and wherever and however they see fit. Though, there is still the call to pray several times a day, which is broadcasted over loud speakers, with song. Very, very cool to listen to; sort of haunting and intimidating, while also very exciting and interesting. Not sure what else to say about it, other than I was glad I was listening.





When we first saw the camels, it was when we were walking off the buses towards very, very old windmills. I believe the exact words that came out of my mouth were, "Look!! Tessa! CAMELS!!! Let's go see 'em!"

I led us right into trouble because as we were cautiously walking in their direction, the camel-man came up to us and said, "Come!" Grabbed my hand and put us and our bags on the camels. As we got nearer the camels, Tessa's camel let out the loudest, longest, ugliest grunt you could imagine! I was happy I had the nice one. HA! We thought it was just for a picture.. then he told the camels to get up. Tessa was freaking out by this point. "Jayci! We can't get lost! We have a group to stay with!!" "Relax, Tess! He knows! But okay.. I'll tell him." As he started to walk us around, I said, "Excuse me! This has to be really quick, we have to stay with our group!" So thankfully, he said, "Yes! Short one. Okay. We'll just go around a couple times. Okay." After we realized we were safe and just looked like idiots with sparkly hats on, we had a great time and could NOT stop laughing.










When we rejoined our group, several people asked us "What was that like??" We said, "SO different from a horse." When we looked back, someone else had climbed on for a ride as well. 20 Euros well spent.. even if it was steep. We got to ride camels!!


5 comments:

The Mursets said...

I am so glad you and Tess got to go on such an amazing trip! And ps You look gorgeous!

Amy said...

These pictures are so awesome!! You and your sister seriously look so beautiful and styling up there on those camels.

Not that I ever saw the movie (or the show), but I saw clips of the Sex and the City movie where they were super styling while riding camels in the desert...you totally remind me of that. Except classier and cooler...and prettier. :) and more awesome!!

Beth said...

So exciting! i too have been wanting to visit Turkey since one of Paul's deployments. Someday...

I loved that you rode camels. Paul and I talk about that every so often, camels and elephants.

Who took your pics? they are so fun! They captured the moment well. Something you two will reminisce about for years. Maybe when you are old ladies even. A good laugh for decades I am sure.

Alicia said...

Wow jealous, I don't think I have ever thought of Turkey to visit but it looks awesome. And a camel, how fun! Pictures are great too.

Jayci said...

Beth - there were to men operating the show, so while one walked around with you on the camels, the other took your camera for pictures. Thankfully I had it on the right settings! :o|