Yesterday while Mark was flying, I took the kids late to the commissary (at dinner time, when it is already dark) for an emergency diaper and milk sort of run.
On the way home, while we bundled in our coats and held tight to whatever could warm our fingers, Mont and Emmy noticed the moon. Typically we are inside with lights on at this hour in the winter (and in summer they are asleep before it gets dark), so seeing the moon is always a big deal to their little selves.
Mont: "Mommy? Can I touch the moon?"
I tell him not right now, sadly, because it is so far away, and it's dinner time. But maybe he can go when he gets bigger, like Daddy. "Maybe Daddy can go with you to touch the moon. Do you want him to go with you?"
Mont: "Yes! I do want him to go with me."
"Okay, then you will have to work really hard in school and grow really big, okay?"
"Sure, I can. Why do I have to work really hard in school?"
"Because you have to be very smart to go into space. Did you know that?"
"Why do I have to be really smart, Mom?"
"There are lots of buttons in space."
...
"If you go into space you will be called an astronaut. Do you want to be an astronaut?"
.... Practiced saying it a few times. Emmy also joined in here...
"Yes, I want to be an astronaut."
Emmy: "I want to be an astronaut too!"
I asked Emmy. "You do? Emmy you are a brave girl. You want to touch the moon too?"
"Mhmm!" (that's a big yes, in Emmy-language)
We circle a LOT in conversations in the car. What came next made me smile about as big as moon is wide. Emmy told Mont again that she wanted to be an astronaut, which made Mont take over the answer side of the conversation (typically mine or Mark's role). He proceeded to tell Emmy how hard she will have to work in school to become very smart so she could go into space. I believe they have their first career goal, and my air-force-wife-heart melted and burst and got nervous and melted again.
I love these two. How much you ask? Easy. To the moon and back.

2 comments:
That is a really sweet moment you just recorded. Thank you for sharing it with me (us). :)
I just saw this today...so sweet!
Post a Comment