December 7, 2009

moments


I love Alaska's people. Propping a bike against a gate might seem like no big deal to some, but to me I see a perfect little picture. People here set up these moments for me all the time. Many of these moments I don't get a photo of, because many of them are of the people themselves.

If I were braver, I would just pull out my camera (after having figured out the motion setting), and snapp their picture - having asked them or not. People here can be so interesting; their huge fur parkas, their aged and weathered faces from mountaineering in the cold weather for years and years, the way they wear small crampons on their shoes just to walk from one place to the next, the way their faces light up when the talk about salmon runs, or packing a moose out from 30 miles from the nearest road in thigh deep snow.

The people here are so interesting! The moments they create are so interesting. Interesting in a marvelous, intriguing, inspiring way. Even if I don't hunt, or I don't ski, I love to learn about the people and the moments around me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture! It makes me long for snow! And Jayci, you don't ski, you have to try it if you haven't I love it!

MC Lewis said...

Classic picture. Love it. I need to look for more moments like that. How are you doing with Mark being gone? Are you going to fly to your parents for Christmas?

Our Northern Exposure said...

Hey Girl! Where are you at in Alaska? You showed up on my live traffic feed, and I like to occasionally like to check out other peoples blogs, and right on your front page it said something about Alaska. We are in North Pole (near Fairbanks). But we will be putting in a bid to move to the palmer/wasilla or Kenai area. I was just wondering where you were at.
Sorry...I guess I technically qualify as a blog stalker now!
Thanks,
Erika
www.everydayisasupersaturday.blogspot.com

(offthewallcreations@hotmail.com)

Jordan said...

The fact that YOU see a picture perfect moment where someone else might not, is what makes you an artist and a talented photographer! I sometimes see moments like that when I'm out and about, and have no camera. Like today, saw snow and icicles hanging off the red "railroad" lights underneath the crossing sign, and for some reason wanted to take a picture. Don't know why! Not sure if that really makes ME an ar-teest... moral: I love your photos.

p.s. word verif = lavies. looks like "lavish" and "ladies" mixed... ooh, so classy!

Anonymous said...

Great picture babe!

XO, Mark

KristenL said...

Jace, you are so super talented that I know you will take amazing photographs of your cousin! I think your camera is better than the one I used too. I would mess with the settings--learn to use it off auto mode (if you haven't already). There are some quick & easy things you can do. Check out Digital Photography School for some help. Email or call if you still want some confidence building! :)

P.S. I SO wish you were here for Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful time in WA though! Thanks for a beautiful Christmas card too. Love you!

haha, word verif: amiffer. Boy, that was a miffer.