I'm no pharmacist, but I have definitely felt the 'fun' in this little pill. Meet vitamin D3, gel form:
The winters have finally hit hard. This is my 3rd winter in Alaska (2nd, full one), and it finally hit. The lack of sunshine, even with my furlough to the sunny islands, coupled with my body working overtime for my fun little squeaker, made for some unbelievably tired mornings and days.
Friends of mine up here have bounced around me proclaiming their love for this vitamin, but I didn't think the lack of sun was affecting me as much as it was.
When it hit, I rethought that previous notion.
My research led me to think that
- liquid vit. D (or gel) is most easily absorbed
- D2 is an artificial vitamin made to be given to plants, not people! Might as well take a mint
- D3 is most effective
- 2,000 IUs is what friends take up here per day
- won't affect Mont if I'm taking too much... and more than likely, I'm not taking too much
- taking Calcium with it helps absorption.
So I found Vit D3's partner in crime:
CALCIUM. 60% of the my DV. Looks like a horse pill! It's about an inch long! Holy strong bones, right? I hope so! My boy is weighing more every day, it seems. I better try to keep up.
Along with these two pills, I've begun to take a new Multi-Vitamin since I ran out of prenatals a while ago. That multi-vitamin has 10% dv of calcium, and 250% dv of d3, or 1000 IUs. So I'm now taking 2000 IUs of d3, and 70% dv of Calcium, plus lots of other good stuff.
This is my 3rd day in a row, and though my eyes could still use some more sleep, my body feels renewed and energized. And now I'm up at 12:04 am and I'm going to force myself to fall asleep so I'm not feeling like my old self again tomorrow. ha!
ps - I'm going to give my old camera a whirl again. I've not been as diligent at taking 'fun photos' like I used to... so back in the purse it's going!
8 comments:
Those are great! I also take a B Super complex for energy. Not sure about it's effects on Mont since I don't have to worry about that yet.
wow, are they expensive? I should pick some of those up myself. Granted I'm not in alaska but I am like you. Every winter I don't think the weather affects me, until it starts to warm up outside, and suddenly its like I took a huge dose of happiness! I really do get more down than I think. I am pretty sure I get plenty of calcium since zach and I go through at least 2 gallons of milk a week... at LEAST. Just between the two of us. What can I say, I love the stuff!
Oooh good to know! Utah is no Alaska, but coming from Las Vegas... I feel like it!! I want to give these a whirl.
I think I might have to try it, too. It's been pretty sunny here, so they tell me, but it's no Nevada sun. I'll have to remember to ask next week at my doc appt. what's the best to take.
WOW--those sound awesome. I may have to use those next time I'm depressed. After asking my doctor of course. Arg! lol
ROLL RECIPE:
2 eggs
2 T melted butter
1 cup very warm water (like a really hot bath)
2 teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups bread flour
Put yeast and sugar in water and set aside.
In another bowl, mix salt and eggs.
Add yeast/sugar mixture and mix.
Add butter and mix.
Add 3 1/2 cups of flour and mix.
Put 1/4 cup flour onto counter.
Dump dough onto the flour and knead for 3-5 mins (I usually do 3 mins).
Add flour as/if needed.
Put into clean, greased bowl. Cover bowl with towel.
Let rise for 1 1/2 hours.
After, put on floured surface.
Cut into quarters (with a big, non-serrated knife).
Half the quarters.
Cut each wedge into thirds.
Roll each third (there will be 24) into balls.
Let raise, covered with towel, another 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes.
Voila! Enjoy! Let me know how they turn out!
I think it is really hard to keep your vitamin levels up--especially after pregnancy and during nursing. I was Vit. D deficient too. Thanks for the tips on better absorption.
so you're taking vit d AND calcium? i love that the calcium pills are gel. so many times they are NOT gel and huge horse pills and scratch on the way down your throat. ick. i would love to know the name brand of your calcium and i think i'm going to go and buy me some vit d. i have been in seattle for 8 years and just recently have the winters started to affect me. i might have to give those a try!
The skies here are so incredibly cloudy! Even on sunny days, you don't "feel" the sun. This was a really hard winter to adapt to. I'm going to look into these vitamins. I noticed my multi-vitamin helped and it had vitamin d and calcium. I was wondering if you've noticed a bigger difference since you posted this?
Post a Comment