May 10, 2012

big dinosaurs

Today we had some time to take the kids to see the Thanksgiving Point's Museum of Ancient Life, 
or Big Dinosaurs! as Mont will call it from today onward. 

Here are more than a few quick pictures: 

I always love the displays that museums have.. 
I think maybe someday I may have to have it as a job:

One of the coolest things about raising kids is re-learning these incredible things as an adult. 

In this huge room, there was the "supersaurus" (which Mont is about to get friendly with), and the bronchiasaurus which is behind and above me. Please don't google the spelling, 
I'm sure I'm getting these wrong:

Another view of this massive room: 

I think Mont loved it as much as we did, if not more, and I really loved it:

So did Emmy! She was clambering to get out of her stroller nearly the whole time. 
This is her at the beginning, still peacefully pointing and smiling at everything: 

The Tyrannosaurus Rex is of course, one of Mont's favorites, so he just kept staring and pointing:

I have to admit, it is pretty intimidating and amazing! The displays this museum had were pristine. Such interesting stuff! So interesting, in fact, that I had to keep a death grip on Mont's arm for him to be in this picture:

"Pirate caves!!"

This was a crazy display of how the hunters try to bring down the wholly mammoths. The hind legs are crushing one skeleton person and the other (near the white arrow) is about to be hit by a huge rock being thrown by another skeleton man on the rock hill to the right. See the white arrow? 

That's where Mont went heels over head backwards right off this railing, 
a millisecond after I snapped this:

Huge.

Huge!

HUGE!!! Mont loved this megladon shark! On the left of this picture, it is a great white shark molded after a white had gorged itself on something. I wonder what exactly, and I had no idea that was even possible for their stomach to stretch like that. Makes me feel sore just looking at it. Anyway, they have it there just for size reference:

All day Mont has been saying, "big dinosaurs!! A scaries?? SCARY DINOsaurs!!" He sure loves naming them off with Mark. He knows 'tyrannosaurus rex', 'bronchiosaurus', 'allosaurus', 'triceratops', and a couple of others. Every time he says one, I'm just so proud! ; )

4 comments:

Marie said...

Wow! Sooo much better than the Natural History Museum here in Vegas. Reminds me a bit of the Eläinmuseo in Helsinki. One of the best I've ever been to. Looks like you all are having fun!

Amy said...

We love "the dinosaur museum" (that's what my kids call it). We go every time we're in Utah, it's tradition and they love and look forward to it.

I need to know your secret with the photographs here....yours look amazing. We've gone a lot and my pictures never turn out like that.

And when Dante was little he went heels over head off the rail too...except by the giant shark. It was so sad...I thought he could have gotten a concussion falling on that cement. I hope Mont was okay.

The Larsen Life said...

hey Reeders! We were just there too! We just missed ya..by just a month or two :) I hope we bump into each other someday!!

Jayci said...

Amy - That last paragraph made me laugh out loud. I even showed Mark and he was laughing. Poor kids! How come they must fall everywhere, every which way?? Poor poor kids. Mont hit that big rock with his back and then his head after that.. He was crying pretty hard. But.. we just went back to the shark and all was forgotten. : )

Thanks for your nice comment of the pictures - the camera that I have now is called a Fuji X100 and it has a film setting of "velvia" which is a film that saturates really well for colors. These pictures are straight off the card and everything - no touch ups! The only tricky thing to this camera is that you HAVE to shoot manually. It's been a LOT easier than shooting manual with the Nikon D90 I used to have. It's easier because on the X100, that's all there is! And they're all external switches and dials, so it's very basic.. as far as cameras can be. If you start clicking around with the computer inside the camera, then you can complicate stuff, but I stick strictly to basics. :) It's loads of fun if you're up for a new a camera!!

Riis - BUMMER that we missed you guys! I would love to bump into you guys someday real soon. :) Miss you all.