May 4, 2012

church history museum + art

Every three years the church holds a church art competition, 
and here are some of last year's entries that caught our attention: 

Greater Love Hath No Man: 
This caught our eye right away because we had never seen this depiction of this last moment of Joseph Smith's life. Looking at it again, I don't like it as much, but it still very intense, isn't it? 
The descriptions are below the art. 


Lord of Hosts: 
I loved this one, the rich hues, the detail in sculpture. It felt very much like something I'd seen before; 
perhaps that's because of the similarity it has to a lot of other famous church art, 
or perhaps it's because it's just striking.


While Mary Sleeps - Morning: 
This... this one made me tear up. I wanted to cry looking at the tenderness in Joseph's expression and how he holds the baby Jesus. I think it struck a cord because one of the sweetest things Mark does for me is get up with the kids on his days off and lets me sleep in a bit, even when he didn't have the easiest night himself. Good fathers just make my heart hurt with happiness. If all the world's children had fathers like this. 


Quilts - The Young Women Values: 
These two quilts sparkled!!! I can't even express to you through 
these pictures how sparkly they were. The camera only picked up a little sparkle.


Great Are the Words of Isaiah: 
still lots and lots of sparkle!


Mont had picked a carrot... 

To prepare for dinner with the missionaries: 

To have enough energy to build houses with the Nephites and Lamanites:

A lot of the art was really weird, some was really abstract, and some were really beautiful. If you have a chance to go, I think you should! Mont did not want to leave the toys.. 
there is fun to be had by everyone. 

1 comment:

Brittany B said...

Love that picture of Joseph. Would love to have it for a nursery, don't you think? Maybe it's my pregnancy hormones at the moment, but it made me tear up, too.