I have been impressed with today since the moment I opened my eyes and realized how comfortable I was inside my soft, warm bed with the cold wind blowing outside. Normally this sort of serenity doesn't hit me until about Thursday, seeing is how it's a Monday, I was pleasantly surprised. When I decided to leave my comfort for some hot chocolate-for-breakfast, I was greeted by a happy, furry little dog in a hoodie. Yep, that's right, Mark bought Buckwheat a dog-hoodie! It is darling (I'm still trying to get a good picture of him in it).
There was time for some morning reading before taking Mark to work and I started my day of errands, so I read, and decided I needed to check out another book for when I finish the one I'm working on. Currently, I have 3 books checked out; even though there's not a limit at the base library, I feel I'm cheating the other books if I have too many out at once... but they're BOOKS! How can you not be reading one at any given time: waiting in the car, sitting on the couch after lunch, during lunch, before you fall asleep... the list goes on.
A couple of the errands were fun ones; one imparticular called for me to go to a boutique in town to look at some Halloween decorations, and of course I had to browse all the jewelry (found LOTS that I loved, but I refrained from buying anything.. for now). Above this adorable boutique there are antique rooms set up. So I followed the sign up there today and found some fun things! It was my second time in the store, but it's the first store I've ever been "antiquing" in.
I walked up the stairs to find a mirrored coat and hat hanger with an old riding hat and a top hat. Yes, I tried them both on and made some oo-la-la faces in the mirror.
After that, I had to choose which room I should explore first. I went left. I found two chairs that were fun: one with green velvet padding and the other with pink: 

A bit further down the long room, I spotted an old wirey fan, and a little desk bell. You know the kind, they usually have a sign by them that says "Ring Bell for Service." I rang the bell, not for service, but just for the sake that it probably hadn't been rung in a long time. It sounded old and dull, but I still thought it looked pretty.
Two more pieces:
One is for my dad, and the other is for my mom (now that I just found out they're reading this). The first is an old Poker table. It didn't have a date on it, but my guess would be the late 3os or early 40s. This is for my dad, because he said once he was pretty good at poker; and I remember an Ocean Shores trip with the Barretts where he was a big help to me and my winnings:
The last piece is for my mom because it's one that her mother gave to her. I've now seen 3 of these in my lifetime, and I think it's pretty neat that it must have come from a furniture line about 45 years or so ago. It has the folding/slanted door that turns into a writing ledge when open, and it has two hidden drawers (they look like columns around a front door of a house, sorry for not having this picture) on either side of a swinging door inside (it actually looks like a door with a fan window). Have I described it well enough, mom? It is the same! At home, mom puts all our papers, markers, rubber-bands, and miscellaneous letter-things in the drawers. I forget now what's inside the windows. I suppose I was always too busy playing with the drawers inside. This piece of furniture used to sit in my Grandma Barrett's kitchen in Bellevue, WA when I was younger. 

I found a favorite piece in this left room of the upstairs-antique store, but I'll have to post it another time. It deserves a few other pictures to go along with it. Here's a hint: my Grandma Judd taught me how to make jelly and jam, and this would be perfect for those jars full of sugar.
10 comments:
HSF - YES!! Thank you. I had forgotten, so thanks for ringing my bell! I think I better add antiquing to my list of favorite things to do. :)
I love all of the things you found! I especially love the green upholstered chair!
Chocolate for breakfast?! You are a lucky girl...
I really like antiquing, but I never know exactly if what I am looking at is a good deal or not because I have no idea what I am doing. I also don't think I have a good eye to put pieces in to really chic settings. You are probably really good at that! Love the pics and the blog..miss you!
Ship some of that cute stuff to my new house??? :o)
i love the green chair and the pic of you in that hat. you are so cute! does you grandma still live here?
Lauren - it was a perfect day, and anything BUT chocolate for breakfast could have ruined it. I didn't want to take the chance.
Beth - I think if I were buying the furniture, I'd have a lot more stress to undertake, but it was fun just perusing! I miss you too. :)
Linda - I'd LOVE TOO! I'd gladly purchase furniture for you. It would be SO fun for a new house.
Aubrey - Thanks! I had some fun by my lonesome in that attic. :) ha No, my Grandparents don't live there anymore. The moved to SLC about 8 years ago, but I still have cousins and other family there. I'll be catching my Alaskan ferry there in January! I'm so anxious to visit again. I really want to go find my g-parents old house and snap some pictures. It was beautiful; they lived up the street from a forest that I swore Indians lived in. So fantastic.
i'm back. that is cool about your grandparents old house and the forest of indians. paul's bro and his family are coming down from alaska to visit for the week after christmas. but i'm pretty sure they're flying. i would love to take a boat up there.
i came back also to ask which books you are reading. i'm in need of a new one..any suggestions?
hey Aubrey! Glad you came back to see the answer. hmm.. books! So many to choose from. What kind of books do you like? I like a little bit of everything. A friend when I lived in Texas recommended Mary Higgins Clark books to me. I read one, didn't reeeaaally like it, but then I read a second and it was much better. So I just finished reading all the MHC books in the library here (they didn't have many), but I recommend the one called "I'll Be Seeing You" OR "A Cry in the Night." BUT! If you aren't interested in these (like I thought I wasn't), I can try to recommend a couple others. :)
I've never been antiquing before. Looks like you found some neat stuff - especially because it brought back memories. Too bad my family never really had furniture that is the kind you would find in an antique store or I might be able to do the same. Take care!!!!
What a good story teller you are! I wish I was that good with words.....Anyways, we still haven't found out what the baby is, but Tuesday though. If he/she will let us know. Wish us luck with a boy!
Post a Comment