
These pictures are some of my favorites from the ferry-cruise. The above picture I took Sunday morning when we pulled in to Ketchikan. It was the first stop we made, and the first thing we saw after we passed through Canadian waters. This next picture would fit the right of the one above; the sun had lit up all the fog on the water. The sunrises were beautiful!


In Juneau the following morning (Monday), Mark's cousin Shelly came out to visit us; it was
extremely nice of her because the ferry docked at 4:3o! She and her two kids had to wake up so early. But they came out with their beast of a car and took us through the dark snow to the glacier and told us about this "friendly" black wolf who plays with other dogs who are on walks with their owners. Mark says he must have realized that it was easier to get food if he was nice. Makes me nervous (especially if you remember the 7 things post).

The first night we were on the boat, I woke up at 4:00 because it felt like I was falling downwards in my bed (feet first because we were rocking a bit). I woke up to find our first light house. I woke Mark up to see this ghostly white lighthouse with it's beacon light shining our boat every 3 seconds. The lighthouse above we saw on Monday morning after leaving Juneau. The scenery was picturesque.

This picture above is
full color, it's not in black and white. Everything looked like
Ansel Adams photography. We kept seeing little glaciers every now and again, but this one took the cake this day.

Here's another light house we saw on Monday before we docked in Haines. It was pretty far away, so it's sort of fuzzy because of my crop job.
Sunday night, we were standing at the stern of the boat and it had gotten dark while we were standing there. So dark in fact we couldn't see anything. All the sudden a huge spotlight turned on with a huge metallic noise. It swiveled on its axis to this iceberg! It wasn't too big or anything, but it was about 10 feet long out of water, so it must have been pretty big under the surface. Shortly after we passed that one, another spotlight turned on so they could spot even more icebergs. I felt like I was on the Titanic and was happy to go inside and play Skipbo and not think about the cold!
6 comments:
That is so cool! I love seeing the pictures of where you are, it looks beautiful and it will be so fun for you to get to see all the new scenery! Thanks for posting the pictures- I love looking at them and seeing what its like where you are! Have fun!
So glad you guys are safe! The pictures are beautiful. Hopefully we can visit you in Alaska! oh, and SKIPBO is the best!
beautiful pictures! i'm kind of jealous...except for the cold!
what beautiful pictures, jayci. and that is soo nice of mark's cousin to wake up and come and meet you guys. what a cool girl!
Wow, beautiful! I'm glad you have SkipBo! I think I use to play that when I was young, can't remember. Keep us posted! Miss ya!
Through a mutual friend (and I've since learned that we have several mutual friends), I discovered your blog. I've been looking around your blog to discover and learn more about Alaska as we'll be moving there later this year. I was wondering if you could answer some questions I have about the ferry. If you don't mind, my e-mail is: Quietfootstep@gmail.com
Thanks!
Kaylie
Post a Comment