February 11, 2008

so far


Thursday morning, before we left Oklahoma, we took donuts and OJ over to Ruth's house for a last game of Scrabble. It was a bittersweet goodbye, but we'll stay in touch, so we'll remain good friends. 

We left Altus, OK last Thursday morning, and we needed air in the tires, but we had the hardest time trying to find air!! So many of these gas stations were closed, or didn't have an air machine; sort of weird.
 
This is an oil well somewhere in northern, central Texas.  There were soooo many of them. I think we rely on other countries' just because we don't want to use up our own. Just a theory.

This is the view from the front window (of course) about 1 hour outside of Del Rio. I loved the hazy yellow for some reason. When we got to Del Rio we made a couple of house calls seeing old neighbors and friends.

This is Dan+Macey, Mark, Sven+Soren at the bowling lanes on Wednesday night. It was a good time! This time Chelsea, aka the Hustler, didn't cream me! 

This cute couple are good friends from Mark's flight class in T-6s. They are awesome. This is Tyler and Julie. Sorry, I'm still learning how to crop on our new computer.

Buckwheat was a trooper! He was in his kennel for most of the two day drive, and was sweet about it the entire way. When we let him out at my parent's house, he went nuts! He was going mach 3 for about 15 minutes. 

We had the best driving weather we've ever had on this trip. Before it was sometimes snowing, or hailing, or just raining. But it was breezy, sunny, and warm the whole way.  It was crazy driving through Phoenix. There are some insane drivers. Mark even thought so, too. Mauri, you're brave! The cactus were beautiful though. Before we got to the Hoover Dam, we were stopped in construction traffic, so I snapped a picture of the cactus on the side of the freeway - look how many there are!

When we got to the dam, I was surprised to find Lake Mead's water level even lower than normal. It is now lower 100 feet.  

In non-picture news, we have visited lots of family, and have just been enjoying the time with my parents.  It's weird having my sister away at college now that I've come home for a visit.  Right now Mark and I are about to go fill up my Grandma's water softener with salt, then it's off to spend the evening with my good friend Megan and her husband Bryce. He and Mark haven't met yet, so it'll be great to finally all get together. 


3 comments:

kris said...

I am glad you are having a safe/fun trip! Buckwheat is a trooper, what a good dog to be that good in the car for so long! I was talking to Ruth the Sunday right after you left and she was saying how much she is going to miss you guys! We are too, it was really fun getting to hang out with you so much that last little bit!

aubreyannie said...

thanks for the update! i like the picture of all the cacti. (right?)

Jayci said...

HSF - It has been a lot of fun, and I'm glad we decided to drive through because without driving through, I probably wouldn't have seen these people here for a long time after (if ever again!)

Kris - I miss you too! It was a lot of fun hanging out with you so often before we had to leave. I wish we had done more. But I'm glad we got to see Mad Money and go to lunch. Ruth is such a great lady. We will miss her too!

Aubrey - right! I realized only after I had posted this that I had 'cactus' instead of 'cacti', but I was too tired to change it. Even now. oh well. :)