Last night Mark was supposed to have his first night-flight with NVGs (night vision goggles) and everything. He was nervous, but mostly excited about the flight.
He left, and I left too. I went to see 27 dresses, and he went off to his adventure. Well... you know how Altus just won't let us leave? The Altus-fate string still hasn't been cut! His plane broke as they were taking off, and they had to land the plane while not being able to hear the flight-tower. I'm quite proud of him. He said that when they started the plane and were taxi-ing around to the flight line, it was really loud. So loud that they all were wondering if their helmets just weren't working right - they couldn't hear each other. Then they get permission to take off, so they do so, all the time the plane is getting more deafening by the second. When they get airborne, they can no longer hear the flight tower. I'm not sure how they were able to land it still with not disrupting the pattern. But my hero-husband and crew did it.
He'll fly tomorrow night. I'll go see Mad Money. I know, I'm horrible.
Today Mark briefed for tomorrow's night flight, and I had a few appointments of my own.
The day started off with a hair cut - it's the shortest I have ever had it. Here's a night-time picture that Mark took for me. It's next to the prettiest thing in the room: the 70s orange-ish curtains. I will try for a better one.
It's a small one because I didn't feel oh-so-pretty. I wish I had gotten a shot while I was there (like I did in "a mighty change of hair"). But.... you know, the lack of mojo.I left the hair place, left for Kris' apartment and was greeted by a happy, jumping Buckwheat. What a funny boy!
Then it was home to have some Chicken Noodle Soup for my still-sore throat. And now it seems like I'm losing my voice. Perfect! I was just getting into singing in the car again; now I can bust out my Janis Joplin.
After my nice, warm, soothing lunch, I went to Crista's house for a Mary Kay session. I needed some help with a new wash-routine I want to get down. She's very savvy.
Then it was off to the eye-doctor's. Oh how I love that eye-puff machine. It makes me break into a cold sweat just thinking about it. At least I know what it's for now; I could not stop talking while I was there. I chatted with the nice nurse and my optometrist like I was about to lose my voice. Oh wait.
When I was with Doctor Mumford (who's really Todd to me and Mark - he's in our ward, and is hilARious), we talked all about the eye and how it works. Yes, I really like anatomy. So after a thorough review of the eye on the big chart next to the chair, it was time to view into my eye. After, I asked if there was a way I could see my own eye. YES! There is. So he got out the massively bright light and magnifying glass (like he's going to fry my optic nerve like a kid in summer time with nothing but an ant and a magnifying glass - hmm, what to do?) and got to taking digital pictures of my own eyes! It was so weird seeing my eyes up close like that. Now I'm trying to keep my eyes open and watery because they feel like they're on fire. I think all that over-exposure to magnified light was tooooo much. But it was sure fun!
Mark and I later went to Fred's fish and steak house for their Mon-Thurs. special $6.oo 1/2 lb. steak and mashed potato dinner. For this reason, am I glad the Altus-fate string has not been cut by the fate sisters yet. At 8:oo we watched the Republican debate and cheered loudly when Romney called Hillary a general. Overall, I thought it was the most mellowed debate thus far. It was a nice change; and we still got to see more sides of all the candidates. Unfortunately we missed the Dem. debate on Tuesday.
We think next Wednesday we'll be heading out of here for our Alaskan adventure. Keep those fingers crossed and those sissors ready, fate sisters!
6 comments:
It sounds like a great day! I love your haircut, it looks really cute on you. How was 27 dresses? I want to see it (even though it has the girl I don't like in it). Have fun seeing Mad Money! You will have to fill me in on all the movies you see so I know what's worth watching! Buckwheat is doing great by the way, he is laying by me right now. What a good dog you have!
Oh wow! I sure hope Peter doesn't have the same luck with Altus or it will be more like 6 months that we won't see him, rather than 5!!! I love your hair. You and Sarah would make a cute pair - you both look good with that hair cut. I wish I could cut my hair however I wanted and it would look good ;) Take care, and be sure to let me know when you actually WILL be coming this way - I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is by Wednesday.
I can't believe they landed the plane without being able to hear the flight tower--scary! Good job, Mark! LOVE the hair! You look great! How was 27 dresses? I really want to see that movie. That's also really neat that you were able to see your own eye! It reminds me of our fun anatomy class days. Maybe I can ask my doctor if I can see MY eye the next time I go in... What a fun post! Hope you get feeling better soon!
It was a tough decision deciding which to see first, 27 dresses or Mad Money. They got almost identical critical reviews, but 27 got 2 points higher of an average. It was really cute! They had all the cheesy lines of a chick-flick, but she delivered them cute-ly, so it was fun!
Kris - I'm soooo relieved that he doing so well for you guys. He is such a good dog, but when their out of their comfort zone, you never know! I'm so thankful to you for doing us this huge favor!
Marie - yea, really! I hope that he doesn't have the same luck. Josh Quinn just passed us up on the schedule. He was originally 3 weeks behind us and he is going to be in Del Rio before us. I hope Peter has HIS luck, ;).
Holly - I'm impressed as well. I don't know how they did it. I'm not so sure Mark knows either. Someone was watching out for them! You should ask your doctor to see your own eyes. It was really neat to see under the pigment color to the blue muscle. The brown pigment was actually kinda gross looking; but it was still interesting! Just make sure that he/she takes the pictures the FIRST time so your eyes don't burn from all the overexposure - my eyes are still all red. Thanks, I hope you and I BOTH feel better soon.
your haircut looks darling! i love it! and you have digital pictures of your eye?! i so want to see that. last time i went to the eye doc he said they don't have to do that eye puff thing anymore. thank goodness because it is the thing that gives me the most anxiety when i go.
Goodness you talked about a lot in this entry. First of all, your hair looks really cute! I've been wanting to do something with mine now for awhile, but still haven't decided what to do yet. Maybe I'll try your style out? Secondly, I want to go see both of those movies. They both look really cute & funny. Thirdly, I can't believe that Mark's plane broke. That would be so scary. Tell him he gets kudo points from me for landing it safely. Fourth, I've started to forget what else you talked about so I will wish you luck on your Alaskan adventure. How exciting!
Post a Comment