August 1, 2008

paint


This is the top of our entry way. Our house is a 'split-level' (one of the few you laugh at in the game of life! ha) and has a really open front room with the entry way walking up into the family room which is shared with the dining room and kitchen. I've posted pictures before, so I don't think this is any surprise. To define the rooms, we decided to run the 'half-walls' banister topping' (molding?) up the wall. I have never seen this done before, so I'm hoping it turns out when we're done. But my thinking is it would help define the entry way's high walls as just the entry way. When we finished painting it this dark navy blue called "Silver Hill", we loved it!! In the picture, it looks more slate than it really is. In the fluorescent light it looks almost green like our Del Rio house, but in the natural sun light it looks like it's true color. Either way, it really defines the entry way. 

After painting one coat of a green on two walls (we're leaving the lighter blue in the kitchen/dining wall), I decided I didn't like it. At all! It's too much of a moody color, especially when paired with the dark blue. Hopefully we'll have made up our minds by tomorrow evening and get started on finishing. More pictures to come when we finish painting!

11 comments:

Chell said...

Looks so pretty so far! I love the light! Cant wait to see more pics... :)

Nicia said...

Oh, decisions, decisions! I like that color a lot. Excited to see more!

Dixon's said...

How do you get your ceiling line so straight? Steve and Weston need to come take some lessons. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who changes their mind on paint colors after they've painted. We painted Kayden's room last week and it turned into a disaster with paint on the ceiling, floor and baseboards. I also made Steve repaint the bottom color because it turned out too dark. Good luck with the rest of your painting.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I.LOVE.IT
You have such a knack for beautiful design. I love your choice in paint.

Holly said...

Looks great! Isn't it so nice to fix up your own place? It's a lot of hard work (and decisions), but it feels so good when you're done! Good luck with the rest of it!

Speaks Family said...

Can't wait to see it in person!
Megan

Beth said...

I love painting. Well, not so much the painting part, but the afterwards part when everything is a new hue. I am painting Claire's room tomorrow while Paul is away. It's called Grape Leave. We'll see how it turns out. Oh, and I am imagining the color your described and i think it sounds lovely. You have good taste so I'm sure whatever you choose will be fantastic.

Wendy Christensen said...

Can't wait to see the finished product!! I love 'do it yourself-ers'!! You go girl :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you...it's HARD work to figure out these house colors, huh? (But so fun!) I'm impressed that Tessa wants to acquire a career in this line of work.

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MARK. I know it is coming up soon because he shares the date with Grandpa Judd.

Tiffany said...

I love your artistic skills. Please tell me your secrets of art and photography. I need to know! :)

steve said...

update please