March 10, 2009

story from a vet

There was a gentlman I just checked out (I'm temping at the clinic this week) that had a Veteran's hat with a clip-on-metal and lots of ribbons. The wars listed were WWII, Korean and Vietnam. I had to ask.

He said he was actually in 4 wars, and he then started in on a little story. Here it is:

He was a bomber pilot in the Korean war, waiting for the moon to come out before they began their flight over the rice patties. Lying on the wing of his plane, his buddy gave him a stick of gum to help pass the time.

An hour and a half later his plane was shot and destroyed. While the plane was going down they all jumped with parachutes and survived (he left out the rest of the story, there was sadly a line of patients growing).

He said he's never chewed gum since, and he's also never been shot down since. So it must be working.

3 comments:

Bayloretta said...

That is one of the cutest stories I have heard in a long time. It sounds just like something my grandpa would say.

Amy said...

From the title, I thought it was going to be about a veterinarian [ha], but it makes sense for it to be about a veteran--they always have interesting, random stories to share with whomever will listen.

And I can tell you are a good listener.

LMemory said...

that's awesome! I wish we had more time for that story...