November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day

Today was our stake conference in Lawton, Oklahoma. When the meeting started, the Stake President got up and started to get choked up. He said it gets him every time. I didn't know what he was going to do.

"Will all the active duty in our military armed forces stand up."

"...and their families."

"Will all the reserve military stand up."

"Will the retired military please stand."

"Will the veterans who fought in wars please stand."

More than half of all the people in the stake center were standing. As I stood there looking at young and old, I teared up at the realization of how lucky I am to be a part of something so special, a part of something that I have so much respect for.

I'm so thankful for Mark bringing the military to me, and me to the military.

5 comments:

Marie said...

It is interesting to see all of the people involved in some way with the military. I especially like to be in places where there isn't a base so running into them is perhaps a little more special and it really makes you realize that of all the people in the US, SO MANY fought in wars or have supported loved ones that did/do. What a wonderful service these people provide for us. I saw a saying today on a friend's e-mail that said she once heard someone quote, "If you don't want to stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!" :)

Busy Bee Lauren said...

They did this in my ward today and it was so moving. I was suprised by how many people stood. It was the most touching part of my sunday.

aubreyannie said...

how very cool. unfortunately they didn't do that in our ward. they didn't even mention it.

Dixon's said...

What a great idea. About half of our old ward was military families. I loved being in that ward because all of the military families were so nice and friendly, and I got a constant reminder of how many people are willing to fight for our country, and how many families sacrifice for us. So thank you for reminding me again.

Beth said...

I am so grateful for your post. I was thinking just briefly yesterday (probably not long enough) as to why we had the holiday. We are so blessed to live in a country of freedom where it's citizens will die for the things Moroni rights about!