November 2, 2007

sailing in

On Ref-desk, the word of the day is "centerboard." I was thinking it had something to do with a professor's display board for class (or something as ordinary as that).

Centerboard: A movable keel in a sailboat that can be pivoted upward to reduce the boat's draft in shallow water.

hm! I can learn something new every day online. I thought Uncle Stan could appreciate that one. I remember looking over the brick wall that separated our back yard from the cousin's and seeing big sailboats back there that he would work on. I never asked him too much about them because I was too young to think up questions to ask, but I sure thought they were pretty.
.
A couple of years ago I did this sketch, so I thought I'd share seeing how the word was about a sail boat. I promise it looks better small, so don't enlarge it! And thanks for all the votes below, I'll update when I get myself to tally all the votes.

7 comments:

Kris said...

wow jayci, that is such a pretty drawing! I admire people who artistic so much because i don't have that skill. i wish i did! but it is beautiful! i didn't know that about you!

aubreyannie said...

wow. you sketched that? it's beautiful. and thank you for educating me on the meaning of the word "centerboard."

Busy Bee Lauren said...

You are amazing! If I paid you, would you sketch me something??

Marie said...

Wow, you are super talented Jayci! I haven't ever seen anything you've sketched before, and I was your V.T. too!!!!! This is really gorgeous!!

Jayci said...

Thanks you girls! I'm glad you liked the sketch. Really I was just having a blog-drought. So I'm glad you all approved!

Kris - I'm sure you could do it! People are usually just too afraid to try. :) GO for it!

Aubrey - thanks! And anytime.

Lauren - Thank you!... what did you have in mind?! ha ha I haven't sketched in some time, so no promises

Marie - thank you! I know, I kept things 'under wraps' in that 'mystery room' in our house.

Candace said...

That is awesome. That is such a nice talent to have (I mean I think it is. I wouldn't know) =)

Holly said...

Jayci--that is amazing! You are so talented! I had no idea you could draw! What else can you do? (Or should I ask, what CAN'T you do?!)