May 9, 2008

and cut!

That's a wrap people. We're in the house!! It is so comfortable and wonderful and everything we hoped for. Things are unpacked and ready for use. Our smiles are sticking and so are the brownies in the pan (we have no olive oil). This past weekend, Mark's family flew into Anchorage. They arrived Sunday night and left Tuesday night. It was motivation to get things unpacked just when we moved in, but it was even more of a motivation to have guests coming. I think they were expecting a lot more work than we gave them. It was great having company, and I'm looking forward to my parents coming in a few weeks. 

The place I looked forward to the most:  our own bed

We took Mark's family to the Alaskan Wildberry shop and they finally had 
the chocolate fountain on. It looked and smelled delicious:On Tuesday we went 60 miles SE of Anchorage to a Preservation park that houses injured or sick animals. It was nice to see these rehabilitated animals! They were beautiful, strong, and healthy looking. The muskox even had babies, so I think these Alaskans are doing pretty well. 

Here is one of the three grizzlies we saw digging for roots. There was one bear (would be to the left of this one in the picture) that would pose for the cameras by resting his chin on his clawed fist (reminded me of a certain movie with "portraits by Deb"... it's unmentionable here!). 

These two bald eagles are some that are actually on base. They have been in this cage once they were found injured, each over 12 years ago. I had no idea that eagles could live so long. When these birds are on the ground, they are about half the height of a man. 

This is a muskox baby (calf?). In Best Buy, for all the televisions on display, they play a nature video of these native animals. A part of the clip is of a baby muskox hopping around on the ice and then falling flat on its side like a baby pup or colt. They are adorable, and have such 
big personalities! There were two of these tiny oxen that were annoying the adults. It was quite a show. The babies would run up to the adults who were eating fresh hay and get chased away by huffing, hoof-pounding adults over and over again. They were so cute: 
A reason that this update has taken so long was because of my eyes. Remember in a previous post when I mentioned my new oculars and my itchy, red, allergy-ridden eyes? Well, I finally got in to the optometrist and it's not allergies after all. My eyes have been 
attacked by a toxic chemical. That's right! I was shocked too. Apparently, my corneas reacted horribly to something new (we suspect a certain face wash) and never got a chance to heal because I wear contacts every day. So now I can't see, clearly that is, and with vision 20/80, I have been given thick eye drops and a command to wear glasses all the time while avoiding driving. They're on their way to being healed. Thank goodness! 

I will post more pictures of the house on my other blog soon. Tomorrow we receive the shipment of things we took with us to Oklahoma, and then I have my first of weekly visits with the optometrist to monitor my progress. Thanks for checking in on 
the update!
 

11 comments:

{krista} said...

I'm so glad you are finally in your house! LIving in a hotel has to be the pits. Alaska is so gorgeous, just for the wildlife alone (not that I've been there, but I'm loving your pics!)

Kris said...

Well first off - Congrats on the new house! I am so glad you are settled in and have all your stuff again. It looks like there are so many fun things to do there. I really want to visit Alaska sometime-hopefully we can work it out and go when you guys are still there. Secondly, I am so sorry about your eyes! I hope they feel heal quickly and get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow about your eyes!! I hope they heal quickly. That's horrible.

Also? That is one freaky looking animal. :)

Holly said...

I LOVE your bedroom, and I can't wait to see more pictures of the house! Congratulations on getting all moved in--I bet it feels so nice! I'm so happy for you! I'm sad for your eyes, though--that's horrible! I hope everything clears up soon.

Marie said...

Love the pictures! Just a little FYI - when in captivity, raptors can live surprisingly long. In the wild they're lucky to make it a couple of years due to disease, predators, and other dangers of life. In captivity they are fed, checked by vets at least annually, and treated for any illnesses/ailments and it can help them to live upwards of 15 years. I think I remember from my falconry days that there was a local falconer with an 18 year-old falcon....

aubreyannie said...

so sad about your eyes! but your bed and bedroom are beautiful!..so elegant! and i love your bedside lights.

C&C said...

pretty bedroom! i love it!

Anonymous said...

Your house looks great! I looked at your other rooms too and LOVED them! We are building our first house and it will be done in the end of june and are SO excited to get to decorate it! Since we are building we get to pick everything and are loving it. Now I just need to the our house colors! Seeing your cute house is getting me all excited. Congratulations on the beautiful home!!!

Liz Ann said...

Oh man, I know that must be such a relief to finally be moved into your very own house. Your bedroom looks nice and cozy. Its making me want to go to sleep just looking at it.

And that chocolate fountain is looking D-lish!

Mars said...

phew lots going on with you guys. I'm glad you are FINALLY in your new home. Looks great. I'm sorry to hear about your eyes & I hope they get better soon? What face wash did you get that from so I can avoid it? haha

Wendy Christensen said...

Gorgeous photos and congrats on the HOUSE!! :)