July 22, 2009

the appointment

This morning Mark was able to go to my appt with me. I checked in to Women's Health Clinic, and told me Col. Yates was seeing her patients in L&D. My first thought was "What's L and D?" Fortunately I kept it as a thought only.

I need to get my brain in working order soon.

So the receptionist walked us and another woman to "L&D" where I had my appt.

The nurse took my blood pressure, 143/80... that's high!! I had just walked half the length of the hospital, and I was in pain from my 'overdoing' it yesterday sitting on the floor painting baseboards and such. So I thought that was an okay excuse.. right? Pain and exercise.

Then she came back 15 minutes later and it was 134/83 or something like that. STILL not good.

Col. Yates (a midwife) came in and said she was going to order me some labs to test for pre-eclampsia. Yikes. So I will find out soon, I suppose.

Everything is fine with the glucose levels; I am in the clear from gestational diabetes. yes!

Because of the high pressure reading, she didn't want to only use the doppler, she wanted to look at the baby's heart beat. It was a strong 136 bpm, and we got to see Mr. Huge!! His face was all smashed against the uterine wall, and he looked like a little gorilla. It was really funny; Mark said he must have his nose! I was laughing so hard the monitor couldn't keep the picture steady. He is already a funny kid.

When she checked, I am 1 cm. dilated, and 50% effaced. Everything is moving right along! I'll keep the blog updated with the lab results. Cross your fingers it's okay!

13 comments:

Holly said...

We'll keep our fingers crossed that the lab results come back okay. Hooray for no gestational diabetes, and how fun that you got to see the little guy again! It's always fun to have an ultrasound! (as long as it's not for anything bad I guess...) Good luck, and keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Wow, 50% effaced and dilated to a 1 !! That was more than I ever was when I a week over due! Hopefully you will keep moving at that lovely pace! Good luck with the lab results!

MC Lewis said...

I hope all is well. You are pretty much in the clear though. Making it to 36 weeks is GREAT! I am jealous at how skinny you stayed. I got so chubby!!

{krista} said...

Good luck, Jayci!

Amy said...

I hope it's not the pre-eclampsia.

I am always so envious about any dilation before the due date [or even after]--it never happened for me which is why I chose to be induced when my due date came and went without any dilation.

Your going to be a mom so SOON! I am really excited for you.

paul said...

Hi Jayci!! I can't wait to see the kid.
-Paul Judd

Darci Buhl said...

I hope it all turns out normal! I got pre-eclampsia at 37 weeks. No fun. I'm so excited for you to have a little baby! It's coming up so fast. Are you getting nervous at all?

Katrina said...

Oh, I hope your tests turn out ok. I constantly had my pressure taken at 135/80 while I was pregnant because they always took it right after I rushed out of work, walked up a flight a stairs and down a long hall. One time it was over 140 so they took it again 20 minutes later after I rested and it was only like 115/75.

The Larsen Life said...

Hey! That's exciting, aside from the pre-eclampsia part. That's no fun! But, even if it comes back positive ,you'll be fine! My mom had that with my brother and everything was fine...he was just born a little sooner than she expected. His lungs were normal though so, in the end, she just got a cute baby a little sooner! And to make you feel better, when I was preggers with Elena, I had high blood pressure with edema and one nurse was POSITVE that I had it just by looking at me. Haha I was that large, anyways, test came back negative :) Can't wait to see the little mini mark ;) or at least his nose..

Jordan said...

Awww that story is SO funny because the first thing you told me about Mark (knowing me of course) was that he had a big nose! hahahaha. And pssst... I didn't know what "L&D" was either until I seriously, seriously thought about it. What's with the abbrevs, people. JACE! you are my pregnancy guru! I'm coming to you AS SOON as I find out I'm preggos. <--- abbrev.

Now hurry up and have this baby missy!

Kristina said...

Yeah, zap the whip cream. Looking back, there are a few mistakes, but not in the actual directions of the recipe. I hope you like it!

The Olsen's said...

Pete is in Fairbanks. Bummer. As for you...you are doing great!!! While your BP is elevated its not terrible yet, hopefully you can make it another two or three weeks and mr. huge can be born...I will be surprised if he's much over 7 lbs from how small you look. but only time will tell!!!

rach said...

i'm so jealous. you only have to wait a couple of weeks and that baby is yours!

and dude, 50% effaced? right on!