July 19, 2009

paradise brought home

When Mark brought sand home from Diego Garcia two trips ago, I thought it was a bag of sugar-cookie mix. Having that sit on our counter made me want sugar all the time! (maybe that was why I failed the glucose test... and no I still haven't taken the 3 hour test! I'm thinking of letting it sliiiide...) Anyway, I didn't know what to do with the beautiful sand. When he showed me pictures of the broken coral that just sits on beaches there, I asked him to grab some of that next time. I had an idea after all. Now that he's home we set to work.

I've seen this done before, but putting it together proved trickier than I imagined. You pour sand, little bit by little bit, place the shell or coral where you'd like it, then pour sand around it. Then using a cue-tip to dig around and wipe the salty sand off the shells and coral pieces. We like it! I'm just glad it looks like SAND, rather than sugar now!

4 comments:

Mars said...

oOooOoOoOhh pretty! I love it. And I'm still loving that table top. AND the picture in the background. That's funnny it looked like sugar before you got some coral in there. Hope you didn't mistake it for sugar while baking :) jk

Jessica said...

Jayci,
You are sooo funny. Nurse Jessi says don't let the glucose test slide. It can be dangerous for your little one if he is born hypoglycemic. I have seen multiple little ones in our NICU for just that reason. It's gross and horrible, but do it. It's soooooo worth it.
Beautiful picture.
Love ya

Anonymous said...

That is such a neat idea! I will have to get all the extra sand lying around from the kids after the beach. haha good luck on the glucose test....yuck.

rach said...

Beautiful, and RELAXING. I love seeing pics of your creations.