January 25, 2013

three little cars

three little cars, 9 x 12, 140 lb watercolor paper

Three years ago, when I had done these Neverland Pieces for new-baby Mont, my cousin (and childhood friend and next-door neighbor all in one) wondered if I could paint a retro sort of car for her son Jameson's room. Even though it has taken me so very long, I have never forgotten, and it's always been on the top of my to-paint list; but I never found a sort of car painting I liked until just recently. I'm happy to finally do something for her because she is always, always so willing to help others and send me off with clothes and fun stuff for my kids. She works so hard in her callings and always remembers her friends and family in everything she does. So surprise, Brit, if you're reading this! ; )

Watercolor has become a fun medium for me to try again after so many years. It's fun to see what happens when it's on the page, with altering amounts of color or water. 

First things first.. laid out my watercolor pencils for outlines, then began the sketches:




Pretty primitive, until step two when I get down my brushes: 


I wanted something that felt young, and a little bit beginner, and with these very basic cars, I really hope it is an okay piece for his room. The simplistic colors and lines, hopefully, will be a fun little view point to catch his eye and make him think about playtime, racing his toy cars around the floor and between furniture legs. Mont just might have to get a copy for his room too; his reaction when he saw it made me smile. Let me just say he used the word "cute!" He is my funny little sweetheart for quite a few reasons, that one.




7 comments:

rach said...

Jayci that's adorable.

The Mursets said...

I love how they turned out!

sby1955 said...

Really cute, Jayci!

Brittany B said...

Oh my goodness! I love it and am so excited. It is perfect...snd the cars you picked...LOVE! You are so sweet. We need to talk. :)

Amy said...

They will love it. You are inspiring me to be an artist again.

Anonymous said...

So talented!

Darci Buhl said...

Seriously you are awesome! I want to get out the paint and create something but I know it wouldn't look nearly that great. I love your artwork!