Spooky nights in Alaska's October calls for some partying. Last year, the frost was heavier, and the snow was lower. Thus far, the first week of October has shown it's spooky face by melting some of the snow on the mountains, and letting us enjoy the frost-free branches of the sleepy hollows.

*out our back door*
Tonight before Mark left for his party with the young men/young women, it was extra spooky (aka fun) outside with the low fog, crisp, chilly air, and the bare trees.
*out our front door*

This picture below is really randomly placed here, but I HAVE to explain this guy. He was a patient I often saw, and I don't think anyone believed me when I tried to tell them about 'this guy;' not even Mark, who's
supposed to believe me, right? I really wished he would have turned around for this picture, so everyone could see just how crazy cool he is. I could always tell this kool kat had his hay day in the hippie era, because I think he's still doing som
ethin... he has no teeth, he's very skinny, he wears a top hat, he has a very long beard to match his very long hair, he talks like a hippie, you know, "heeeey maaaaaan" (- OH! Just like
Leo from "That '70s Show.'"), and finally, he is a very nice and happy. His outfits were also something I looked forward to seeing. Only once did he not wear this top hat, but he had on another hat that was just as funky. He often wears t-shirts that say things I'm not always sure what they mean. I don't think I'm the naive one, either; I think these are shirts that he had made at the 5th Ave. Mall downtown with sayings he has come up with. It's hilarious. I would always get him to run his conversations down tangents and I would just laugh and laugh with him. Keep reading for the reason why I am telling you this...

This was at the parking lot of Joann's in Anchorage, where this guy does not live, so I was quite surprised to see him here with his girly friend with pink hair. I often hear of weird, scary people being at this mall, but I have never run into any, and I have frequented this place often. Call me lucky. But I was meeting a pregnant (this is relevant) friend, Jessy, of mine here to get some custom framing done, and inside, we saw another pregnant (relevant yet again) friend of ours inside. Both of my friends have a little one already with them. The friend that we both happened to see there left before we were done with our orders, so we said goodbye without a second thought. Later that evening, Jessy called me to make sure I had made it home safely (knowing I would have to feed Mont in the car in the parking lot [thank you, dark dark windows] because of the timing). I thought, "aww, that's so sweet of her! Calling to check on ME, when I should be calling to check on HER, seeing is how she's pregnant and all!".. but then she goes on. "I just talked to Lindsay (friend #2), and she had a bad run in with a big scary guy in the parking lot." Go read her story about her love for Mall Cops,
here. I'm just glad she's okay.
What I thought was funny (in an odd way), was I only saw ONE weird person, and I happened to know him! Again: I'm glad she's okay.
So on to the PARTY. I didn't go, but I did help Mark-the-Party-Planner out by drawing him a huge Witch face on cardboard so that the young-men and young-women could play...

*this is my self-dyed hair = oo la la!*
Pin the Wart on the Witch!
Last year we played, and the pins were chewed gum. It made it difficult because you didn't want to touch other players' gum. EW. So here is my witch:

After we went grocery shopping and bought our HUGE pumpkins, Mark spent the entire afternoon baking sugar cookies (thanks, Betty Crocker! and post-mission crew rest) and making his own delicious frosting (his frosting is the best). This morning we watched
The Adventures of Mr. Ichabod [and Mr. Toad] so he could time how long it was (only half hour incase you were wondering). They set up a projector at the church while the frosted cookies and played "pin the wart on the witch." ALSO,
this cauldron from last year was used to hold bubbly A&W with dry ice. Mark is
such a party-er; but I love it!
17 comments:
ooooh! ok first of all, I'm jealous of the fog... yes, jealous. secondly, you are brave for talking to that man and laughing with him... I would have avoided eye contact and kept it to one-word answers. his girlfriend is quite the catch, too. wonder what they were doing at joann's? what were you having framed, anyway? I'm thankful you have friends to call and check up on you when you have to sit in a scary parking lot... else I'd be worried about you!
also, could you BE any prettier! gosh!! your hair looks great and you look like a skinny minnie, and did you draw that witch freehand? too many questions, I'm sorry. I really could have used you on a project I had to do tonight involving drawing... it was pretty bad. anyway, I love your beautiful face!!! Sorry So Long!
jo i LOVE long comments. ha ha! Yes I drew that icky witch free-hand. It was nice to know she was SUPPOSED to look icky, so my mess ups were well-hidden. I think that 'girly friend' is just a friend (I think... I think she just drives him in to town when he needs a ride). I was having 4 of my photographs framed. They should be done on the 20th and I'll post pictures! :) I'm excited!! I'm so glad you like my hair!!!! I was so stressed about doing it because the only "hair experience" that I have was from doing YOUR hair freshman year. ha ha!
You are such a good artist!
I love your witch drawing! You are such a good artist. I'm glad you are safe. It's crazy how cold it is there already, but you took some beautiful pictures. I think it's still mid-60s here.
What a fun party! They're lucky to have him as a leader. And I'm so glad you were ok at the creepy mall. You are braver than me to talk to a random hippie guy. I would've avoided all eye contact!
That is a crazy story. I'd have been kinda freaked, too. I love your witch. Nice job!
Why are there homeless people in Alaska? How do they survive? Burr
I love your witch, it looks great! Also, I totally read your friends blog about the mall incident....SCARY!!! I think they target moms since they know it takes longer for us to get into the car getting our little ones in first. That has totally happened to me a couple of times (not to the extent that they don't go away) so I have gotten pretty quick at buckling Sadie into the car and as soon as I shut my door I lock it! Thank goodness for those parking lot security guys we all have made fun of at some point!
Also, I agree with Jessica....how do the homeless survive outside there??
Those two are awesome. Love it. Also, did you know you are a featured blog on Busy Bee Lauren? I thought it was kind of funny. Good job!
Wow are you good at drawing. My stick figures look horrible. I love that fog. OOOO so cool. It reminds me of something that would be in Twilight.
gah! you weren't kidding jayci about the patient you used to see at providence being so "awesome" looking! weird that he was in the area when he doesn't live near here...i think the area outside the ghetto mall attracts all these types of people at this time of year as i've seen more and more of them!
last time i go to joann fabric's alone...and that's sad considering it was so therapeutic for me! gah, i hate when people ruin good things.
and yes, i SO believe that moms are targetted as it takes longer for us to get kids in/out of the cars and we are realitively nicer.
and dang girl, you are so great at drawing! is there anything you can't do?! lol! seriously, you're so amazing!
You are quite the talented artist there. Mark must be so proud. :) (okay, I'm laughing at the comment)
Lucky you, with the fog making things all spooky like.
And I'm curious to know about this frosting recipe of Mark's...is it top secret?
And 'Leo' looks like he found his perfect match...I wonder if they help do each other's hair? Maybe that's what brought the together. :)
i don't know HOW the homeless survive here.. actually... I think they live in tents on the side of the freeway. There was a tent off the freeway hidden in some bush (I don't know HOW I first saw it), but I called it in to the police station (and they never found it.. even with me calling in twice) so they could check it out. ANYWAY. I don't know.
Thanks for liking my icky witch!! It is fun drawing things that you know don't HAVE to be perfect. Takes the stress out of it, for sure. :)
Thanks, Brittany! Did you make it to Bellevue safely?
Amy - the recipe isn't top secret. I think it's just powdered sugar + milk + vanilla.... easy peasy, but he always knows JUST the right rations!!! It's fantastic. :)
LOVE the witch!! wish I could've made it to YMYW, but ya know how the newborn thing goes. Sounded fun though!!
Speaking of parties, are you doing the 'party of the year' this year in your basement? Jason's parents will be here for halloween, but you guys just do FUN parties!!!
Lisa - I think we'll pass on the Halloween party... :( we are both bummed but it would be too hard with Mont still so young and the basement is not as cool as it was last year - it's now finished. ha ha!! So ... maybe a different sort of party later on..? :) we'll let you know!
you consistently make me sick. you are way too talented--spread the wealth, woman!
and i agree, could you be any prettier???
you are darling jayci!!!! i think you are so creative! so beautiful
Post a Comment