March 19, 2008

bunko

The Air Force has many deep rooted traditions for the spouses which lend support and friendship while their husbands are gone. When I married Mark, his mother gave me a book that had every sort of etiquette in order to be an Air Force Wife. It is such a fun book, I love to browse through it and extract ideas for parties and place settings. It has such things as 'how to set proper place setting' to 'invitation cards for different types of parties.'  To establish new friendships fast, or just to keep girls busy while their husbands are away, there are things such as "Coffees" where the wives get together for snacks, and a couple of games of Bunko. It is a 3-die game where you role for different numbers and rotate to different tables depending on your 'win-lose' status. I had a great time, and this silly game brought out my competitive edge. Normally only tennis or catch-phrase can do that! On the Bunko link provided above there are score sheets you can print off, and you can play without drinks or money (like we did), ad there is a way you can do without 4 people at your table. You just play with a 'ghost partner.' If you ever need an idea for a Young Women's or Relief Society Activity, this game comes highly recommended. It's a great way to have fun and get to know your table-mates... if you're not glaring at them through dice-glazed eyes. 

*the above picture is of a group of Air Force wives back in the day playing this vintage game of rolling dice. Try it! You won't be sorry. 

7 comments:

aubreyannie said...

how FUNNY that you posted this. right after paul and i were married, our first ward had an activity where we played bunko to sort of get to know each other. i have been wondering what this game is called for SO long becuase i thought it was so much fun. thanks, jayci!

Holly said...

That's so funny! My ward had a Bunko craze when I was younger, and ALL the adults would get together for hours and play. I've never played myself, but it sounds like fun!

Thanks for the congrats, by the way. We are so excited!

Marie said...

You know, I still haven't played bunko. Don't know if I ever will. I know Larissa LOVES it - maybe I should give it a try? As for Catch Phrase, I LOVE that game!!! ;)

kris said...

I love any kind of game. Go Bunko! What is the name of that book? It sounds cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jayci! that game sounds really fun! I have known quite a few people who absolutely love it, yet I've never tried it... so I guess that means I need to soon!
ps. what's your new last name?

Busy Bee Lauren said...

That book sounds cute! A bunch of ladies in my ward have played Bunko for years...I should try it!

Tim, Crista and Addy said...

Hey Jayc! Gosh, miss you! Just quick tidbit about bunko FYI....several years ago in my parents ward, the Bishop got up and from the pulpit basically told all the wives they needed to quit the Bunko stuff!!! It was getting out of hand and I think it was all about the "popular ladies" of the ward or something. ANyway, anytime I think of Bunko, I remember that day in church!