Earlier this week, Mark and I ate chinese food, and along with the food came a cookie for us each, of course! Mine gave me the prediction of doing something new this weekend... wonder what it could have been?
This morning was when I did the 'something new'. We attended the start of the 2008 Iditarod dog sled races! Here's a video, courtesy of yours truly.
*enjoy my first blog-video. It took a while to figure out, so enjoy!
I thought they would shoot a gun and they all take off at once, biting and barking for first place, but it was much more relaxed, but still very interesting! They must have an listed order for who starts to run first. I was also surprised to see that they run with two sleds and three people. I suppose there is safety in numbers. As a side note, all the dogs had booties on! I heard that they have been doing this because it saves time of stopping every so often to get the ice out of the dogs' paws.
No ice, less stops, more running = faster time. It was awesome! We were on the lesser crowded parts of the streets. Down were all the ice sculptures were, there were crowds and crowds of people. We walked down there and I had to hold my camera to take pictures just so I could see anything. The dogs were pulling so hard. I only could tell this when they would pass us and I was looking at them from behind; they would be leaning in the farthest-forward direction from where they had been tied to the team. They are good examples of loving their job. What extraordinary animals! Buckwheat needs to meet these dogs. He'd have some role models.
9 comments:
I can't believe my niece is living an ice cold life. I never would have pictured you in Alaska! What a wonderful experience for you. I'm cold when it gets 40 degrees here in Elk Grove, CA. Miss you but enjoy your blog. Love, Aunt Beverly
p.s. tell Tessa and your parents hi.
nice job at your first blog video. and how cool to be able to see the dog sled races. i would have loved that. it looks cold there! i hope you have a nice warm coat!
Jayci, I love your pictures although I can't seem to get the ones of your first ferry posting, but the rest are fantastic. I can't believe you are in cold alaska. How different from hot Del Rio. Paul liked the posts as well and thought it would be awesome. What a fun adventure! i'm sure you will love it!
I can relate. I just got back from cold, frozen, foggy Vernal, Utah. It seems so wierd seeing the tree's blossoms here after being gone all week. Triple layer clothes is the secret.:-)
I'm glad everyone has liked these pictures! I still have a ton more - I've only been posting a few of my favorites.
Tessa - I am definitely going to see that movie. It's on my list and has been for a loooong time. :) I just wish you were here to see it with me!
Aunt Beverly - hello! I love knowing you're checking in on this thing. I know, it's weird to think that me (the weak one) has made it up to an ice-land! I was near tears after walking around this street for the Iditarod. It was painfully cold. Tessa just started a blog of her own, but I will pass the word on!
Aubrey - It took a long time for me to realize that there was actually a VIDEO post button. wallah! Thanks, though. :o) I have a warm coat, but even still, my legs, face, feet, and hands are what freeze! There's no avoiding it. But I'm learning the tricks.
Beth - thanks for letting me know - I was hoping it was just my computer that could no longer see those pictures. Weird. So I fixed them. :) I think you guys would love the adventure of coming up here! It has been incredible; I want to make that drive again. Especially in the summer time when everything is green and beautiful.
Aunt Linda - thanks for the tip, I'm slowly catching on. I think you would be shocked at how cold it is here. I'll have to take pictures of the ice-rinks-for-parking-lots. It's really crazy. But layers is a must!! :o) How are your berry bushes?
Hey thanks so much for fixing the pics. Your ferry ride looked awesome. I love ferries and to be able to be on one over night would be fantastic. You have convinced me that Alaska would be so much fun. Although, the slippery parking lots would not be my favorite park. I hope that you don't have too bad of a fall! :)
you have so many adventures! i love reading about them. you are one well-travelled girl for only being...22?
Wow! That's something you don't get to see every day! I've only seen dog races on the movies--how fun that you got to see one in person! Interesting information...
How cool would that be to be at an actual dog sled race. I would probably freeze, but so much fun!! How are you guys adjusting to the weather?
Post a Comment