November 6, 2008

magnets: how to

For last month's Super Saturday, I chose to do three sets of magnets; ideas of Jodi and Stephanie! In Hawaii, at Cinnamon Girl, each tile-magnet costs $3. For this set of 60, it cost me $10. Maybe you'd like these too; so just in case, here's your own personal how-to: 
1. Grab your Mod Podge:   *please ignore our 40 lbs of rice waiting for a bucket 
2. Set of 1x1 inch tiles, I think these were from Lowe's. 60 total: 
3. Clean off the back of the tiles as best as you can. Some paper won't be able to come off, and don't break those nails trying! Just leave what doesn't come off easily: 
4. I didn't make these, but if you're good with a computer, you could do your own zip file, or if you're bad with a computer, like me, then just save, enlarge, and print this off: 
5. Cut the strips with a rotary cutter and board. Then use scissors to cut across since they didn't line up in that way:
6. Lay them out and decide which 30+ you are going to not use. I know, it's a tough decision: 
7. Score the magnet-sheet. Press hard, but it's not necessary to get all the way through. With just a little pressure, you will be able to score the magnet and just bend and pull the magnets into the squares. Cut 3/4"x3/4":  
8. Be sure to buy the sticker-backed magnet sheet. Stick the magnets to the tile-backs: 
9. Mod podge once directly on the tile face, then stab the paper with the sticky brush and lay it on the tile. Apply more mod podge, doesn't have to be much: 
10. ta-da! They won't be perfect because of the rough backing. But aren't they fun??
I just love magnets. My next project with these will be to make a magnetic-framed-board. If I'm any good at making the framed magnetic board, maybe that will be your next how-to from this blog, to you. 

15 comments:

Marie said...

These are so cute! I've made magnets out of scrabble pieces and have been given some magnets made out of tiles that are stamped on, but these are cute!! Where did you get the letters? I couldn't quite tell if you printed it, or bought them?

{krista} said...

Awesome! Even more awesome is that those tiles are some we used in my bathroom remodel... same.exact.ones! AND, I have some leftover! Woohoo! I am going to have to try this out.

Hipple Family said...

very cute! You are so creative!!

Beth said...

I absolutely LOVE them!! Now I want to make them! I'll have to tack it on to my ever growing list of projects to do! You always have fun ideas.

Darci Buhl said...

Those are really cute. I think I might try it. Magnet boards are really easy to make-I made a giant one a few years ago, and it was no big deal.
Oh, and I had to laugh at the rice in the background. I swear, you could have taken that same picture at my house. Our rice is stacked up too. haha.

MC Lewis said...

Love them! I cant wait to make them. I will have to wait a little longer until Lana is just a tiny bit older. Wait even better, Christmas gift!! Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You are the magnet queen! Those are so cute! Nice job saving some cash and just doing it yourself.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I totally making these!!! Thanks girl!

Anonymous said...

you are so creative! this is next weekends fun project!

The Willis Wonder Years said...

You are an amazing person, ya know that J? Seriously, is there anything you can't do? Oh, by the way...I was looking at the people on your blog list and did you know I used to hang out with Mark's brother Mo when I went to UVSC? CRAZY!!! Small world!

aubreyannie said...

how cute! i love these! thanks for sharing!

KristenL said...

ooo, genius!! thanks for sharing! i hope i can get around to these soon!

Mars said...

CUTE! I wish I had time to sit & make these. So fun!!

Anonymous said...

So crafty! I am going to have to do that!

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! When I get in a crafty mood again these are totally on my to do list!