August 20, 2009

Mont's story

Some have wanted to know, and I'm sure some people would rather not know... so read on if you dare!

Wednesday night, August 5th, I began feeling contractions that were similar to stomach ache feelings... "where's the bathroom?" kept running through my mind. These began around 5 o'clock, RIGHT after I finished painting the last coat of paint on the crib.

Around 11:00 Mark and I went to bed, then at 11:30 I woke up with REALLY bad back pain... I didn't know what I had done! I thought maybe I twisted wrong or something, or maybe the baby just kicked me really hard in the back and made me contract all at once. I writhed through it for under a minute, then tried to go back to sleep. This kept happening every 5 to 7 minutes or so... I knew it wasn't the baby kicking me. I was in labor, and I was having back labor. I was nervous.

I was in the bathroom and on the couch for the next couple of hours, trying to keep quiet while going through these contractions. I wanted Mark to be able to sleep so he could be awake and happy for the real labor.

At 1:15, I saw that I was bleeding, and got pretty nervous. I didn't know much about the "bloody show" but that's what it was when I called in to Labor & Delivery. The sweet nurse advised me to labor as much as I could at home, take a hot bath or shower to pass the time, and try to get some sleep. I tried...

3:00 rolled around and I was still struggling through the contractions with the back pains at regular intervals, every 4 minutes or so. I was proud of myself for not having woken Mark.

At 3:15 my body was a wreck. I began throwing up with the more painful of the pain-full contractions. Before this, I have never gotten sick due to any amount of pain I've been in.

THIS was what woke up Mark. Poor guy... not a good thing to wake up to. He was worried, and didn't know I had been in labor for the last 4 hours!

Feeling bad for me, he asked how he could help, so I decided I better draw the bath now or I never would make it through the next little while. He poured my bath, and while I soaked he went back to sleep. The hot water seemed to help a little bit, as I didn't get sick, but I still had the regular contractions.

He woke up again at 4 and he called in to the hospital for me (I was back to getting sick) asking what we should do.

They advised us to come in to the hospital so they could see if I was progressing. I was nervous for the ride in. Mark hopped in the shower while I finished packing my bag that I had just started packing at 11:30, just a few hours before. He got dressed for work, since he would have to go in and 'pass the torch' for the red-flag operations he was in charge of.

Dressed in his handsome flight suit, and armed with a plastic bag and pillow (which didn't make it out of the car... and neither did the plastic bag), we set out for the hospital.

It was a quick drive because it was 5:00 am, and light traffic - thank goodness! We parked in "expectant mother" parking and he helped me waddle inside.

They showed me to my room, and when they checked me, my heart almost fell.

I was only 2 cm dilated!

At 7:30 Mark left for his meeting, and was quickly sent back (thankfully!). When they checked me while he was gone, I was at a 4.5. HURRAY!

They were hesitant to offer me any medicine or other options, because in my birth plan, I was pretty specific that everything be natural, and no one suggest me anything because I probably wouldn't be able to turn it down. I was impressed with how supportive they were.

It was me who changed my own mind about birthing naturally. The back labor was not what I had in mind for a happy birth. I smiled as I let them know that I was "open to suggestions."

The anesthesiologist came in and let us know of his excitement. He rarely gets to discuss options with his patients; women just come in ready for him to cut off a limb as long as they get that epidural. He was very nice, and when I told him about a minor spine condition I have, he had to dive into his books and consult two other doctors. I was glad he did.. but this consulting took 2.5 hours! He came back in certain that he knew what he was doing, and I could tell he was happy to have to do some research to make sure he did. I liked that.

I received the epidural at around 11:30.

Mark then gave him a snickers candy bar. He was our newest best friend.

I had been worried about the effects of an epidural on Mont, and on myself... but I was VERY pleased with the outcome.

My right side went numb much quicker than my left side, but even with the remaining pain on my back's left side, I could still nap and smile through the contractions compared to what they were.

I had progressed to 6 cm on my own, and the epidural relaxed me SO much, that I ceased progressing... whoops.

At 3:00 the midwife broke my water with what looked like a crochet hook, and we waited.

At 4:00 they asked if I would accept a pitocin drip. I would, I would!! I wanted to have Mont that day, not the next.

After an hour on the pitocin, I was fully dilated, and completely effaced. My heart started to beat so fast!! I was so excited!! By this time I could not feel either leg. In fact, they felt like they weren't even mine! But I could still wiggle my toes.

At 5:00 they began prepping the room while the Midwife Doc (she was both... perhaps she had a doctorate in midwifery?) began to prep ME.

Pushing was a breathing workout. Holding my breath, while tucking my chin to my chest and bearing down was making me wonder how laboring women don't have aneurisms regularly. It was a rush. But I was happy through the whole thing. Even while Mont was crowning, I was smiling. The epidural was my miracle.

I began to cry when I heard his first little noise as soon as they had him completely out. It was such a cute, frustrated, life-breathing little noise. I was in love!

As I watched him punch and kick while the nurses cleaned him up and wrapped him up, Mark and I were staring at him with tears on our cheeks. I kept thinking, "how did we do that?! We MADE him?! He's OURS?! He's mine??"

When I held him, I couldn't imagine a sweeter moment. It still makes me cry when I think about how my entire life just shifted on its axis to include this little baby boy. I felt that shift happen as I looked at him and he tried to look at me. It was the greatest, sweetest, most exhilarating moment.

The last two weeks, I have told Mark more than a few times that "I have the best job in the world." He and my mom have been finishing up all Mark's projects and reshuffling and organizing everything we had to move around for the basement to be finished. Within the first day they had the nursery set up and everything is complete in our home. I tend to say that when I see Mark carrying something heavy past the room I'm holding Mont in. ha!

Even though labor was not quite as I had outlined, I was happier than I could have imagined. What had started as the most painful day of my life, turned into the most glorious day of my life.
*for those of you who don't have fbook.. here was the "moment" caught in a photo

25 comments:

{krista} said...

I honestly don't know how people labor naturally. I had back labor with my last one and it was absolutely MISERABLE and I begged them to just kill me off. I'm SO glad he's here. He's beautiful - and what a great birth story. Congrats again.

Katrina said...

Congrats, Jayci! Well done. He's beautiful. I think we need more pictures though.

I totally threw up during labor too. It started right before we went to the hospital and lasted pretty much until I started pushing. I threw up probably 10 times. Not fun. What's funny is I only threw up once due to morning sickness!

Holly said...

Oh, thank you for sharing your story!!! I loved reading every word. Bringing a baby into the world is such an amazing experience, and it was neat to reflect on my own experience as I read yours. I agree that nothing can compare to the moment you see and hear your baby for the first time--it is such an amazing thing. I'm so glad everything turned out okay, even though it went differently than planned. And I am SO glad that both you and Mont were healthy with no problems!!! Congratulations again! I hope the transition into motherhood is going well. And I would love to see more pictures of little Mont!!!

Marie said...

I am so happy for you and Mark and MOST HAPPY that you got to have a pleasant birth experience, even if it wasn't exactly as planned. I would trade a lot to have had one myself. It sounds like you're a champ though, laboring quietly on your own in the early morning, and you have a beautiful baby now and your pregnancy experience is complete. What a blessing little Mont will be to you and Mark. He will teach you about a whole new level of love - love you didn't know yourself capable of. Congratulations!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! It's a great story and we are so glad he is here and healthy! Congrats again.

Amy said...

Jayci, I am so happy for you!

I can't believe you labored at home for that long, and quietly too. I know how you felt when you were told you were only at a 2. My it is painful. I opted for an epidural as early as they'd allow. And when they didn't come right away on my second, Tony sure got an earful of "I didn't sign up for this. I wanted no pain, etc." :) It's funny now, but I was quite serious then.

I love that you were "open to suggestions". :)

Jamie Smith said...

I thank heaven all the time for epidurals. I'm such a weenie I could never do it without one. And I still think I am brave and cool with an epidural because I pushed out a baby regardless. Little Mont looks like a doll. I wonder what my boy is going to look like. 9 1/2 more weeks. Scary!

Chelsea said...

Pure Awesome-ness. Doesn't matter how they get here as long as the GET HERE! :)

Thanks for sharing, inquiring minds want to know!

The Eggintons said...

Thanks for sharing your story. It brought back so many memories of having Chase. I had a lot of the same feelings you did. Having a baby is amazing and totally worth it! Epidurals are the best too!

aubreyannie said...

JAYCI, you made me cry! i loved hearing how things went with little mont. congratulations! what a sweet story of how he entered the world.

The Larsen Life said...

I Loved your story!! That was awesome and you're a champ! I would have woken up Chris first thing and made him suffer right there next to me :) ha! You even made me kinda want to get an epidural next time too! I haven't gotten one yet cause...get ready for it...I'm too scared!! Crazy huh? I freaks me out to have someone stick a giant needle in my spine. I hear it's heaven though!

KristenL said...

Wow. You are one touch chica! Thanks for sharing your story; you'll cherish having this written down. It reminded me of labor and delivery with Luke. How different your life will be now---and how much you'll grow! Remember you can call me if you ever need to.

Darci Buhl said...

What a sweet story! Little babies are so pure and you can't help but just love them instantly. I'm glad that your labor went well...I think its amazing that you even considered doing it naturally!

Jordans Jaunt said...

He is so cute! I want to hold him! Thanks for sharing the story it was a good one. I'm glad that you are both doing well.

Jordan said...

Jace wow you are so brave!! I'm with whoever it was that said they would have woken up their husband first thing... I would too! And I'm sooo impressed that you did it with nobody but Mark with you. I'm sure your mom was disappointed she couldn't be there. But, less people = less gross pictures. Zach has warned me I'm going to have to be VERY clear on who is taking pictures of what. Sick! Haha- anyway, I've been waiting for you to post this and now I'm so glad! I miss your regular posts! Hope you're having fun busily being a mama!

LMemory said...

This might be my favorite blog post of all time. It's beautiful. Congrats, Reeders!!!!! There's nothing like a new baby to bring more joy into the world!

Mars said...

awwww Jayce! This was so sweeet to read. You are officially my hero! Seriously. I probably would/will freak out & wake up my husband (which I don't have one yet) if I went into labor. You are amazing. Seriously. Well I already knew that but you're a different kind of amazing now too! I can't wait to have a baby now haha (I might regret saying that) You & Mark are going to be such good parents to cute little Mont!!

julia said...

how in the world do you remember all that? reading your story makes me a little nervous, but also reasures me that if you can do it, i can do it! woman power, right? and look at what you have to look at everyday now, that's what i'm holding on to that will make all this craziness worth it. now, if only we could speed the next few weeks up...

Adventures in Petersonland said...

thanks for sharing your story! i got teary eyed from reading it as you described so well what you went thru and what a miracle it is to be a mother.
bummer that things didnt go exactly as planned, but what matters most is that you and your little guy were/are healthy and doing well. i cant wait to see him! congrats again, being a parent is truly amazing.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome that you had such a good experience with drugs! Although, you really didn't have to make me cry the whole way through that post! Isn't the pain so worth it....every last bit.

Anonymous said...

You brought back the memories of the birth of each of my children. And the same picture pose I would do of studying the miracle of the little child in my arms. I love you and your family. Grandma Judd is also so excited for you and loves you too.

Smedley Family said...

Jayci, you tell that so good! Makes me remember more of my own!! You made me laugh though, cause when I had Kali, I had the anesthesiologist come give me an epidural, and seriously the moment he was packing up his stuff, I blurted out, YOU ARE MY NEW BEST FRIEND!!!! :) Im sure they get that a lot!!

Ann Christensen said...

Hi Jayci!! I feel like I'm getting a little bit of you through Lindsey's blog, and you make me smile! You always were a special young lady. I love and miss you and hope you and your beautiful little family are doing well. It certainly sounds like it! And I couldn't be happier! Congratulations on the wonderful birth of your son.

RACHAEL said...

you made me cry. oh! how wonderful and beautiful. i think i want to have a baby too.

Michelle said...

Congratulations! What a great story!