
Thursday morning my parents, Mark and I heard the
female conductor holler "All aboard!" and then boarded the train above. Two engines, lots of passenger cars, two dining cars and one caboose. Personally, I loved the dining car. But the views were pretty snazzy as well:

Above is the view from the highest, longest bridge of the train ride. It was 300 feet high and 2oo (?) feet long. Below is a view of one of many lakes. A lot of the tundra landscape is unfriendly to people. It can act like quick sand in many parts! I'm glad we were on sold train tracks.

The train ride was 8 hours long, but on this ride, I decided I
love the lurch of the train. It lulled me into quite a few cat naps, I had time to read my mystery, and every now and then we'd all get excited when someone shouted "Caribou! Caribou!" in a sing-song voice. Mark thought he saw two black bears, one hopping out of a tree, and one running back into the bushes, but we were going fairly quick at those times, so he's still unsure.
5 comments:
A bridge that high would, I admit, be a tiny bit scary to be on. I'm sure it's not very wide, or is it? Love the pictures - sounds like an incredible adventure!!
WOW!!! I love all the beautiful 'outdoor' shots! What a trip ...
That sounds like fun, but I don't know if I could stay on the train for 8 hrs. Thats pretty long.
um, jayci?!?!?! is this the train that takes you to denali? because yes, in fact, i worked on the train for two summers. i worked on the holland america train cars--probably the ones being pulled behind you if you were on the alaska railroad cars. daniel worked with me the second summer (when we were dating)he was a bartender-hilarious, right? i have to admit, i think we should go now that we are NOT working on the train. it's a bit of a long day-we would go all the way to fairbanks one day and right back the next. however, seeing all the "sights" is making me strangely nostalgic! that is one dang good picture of mckinley too!
Brings back memories!! I worked on the train for Holland America for two years after highschool. Seeing Hurricane Gulch again brings back memories of us chefs chucking leftover watermelons over the edge and waiting and waiting to see them splat their seeds out! It's a long ride, but a fun one! If you guys want to do a really pretty one, do Anchorage to Seward, it's shorter and prettier. -Lisa
Post a Comment