June 15, 2008

quilting the middle east

I'm taking the plunge into the depths of making my very first quilt! Yesterday, I went with my seamstress friend from the ward to pick out the fabrics I will be needing for this quilt. Above are the threads I've decided on for this colorful and glorious quilt! I wanted a lot of bright colors, gold and bronzes, so here is the fabric palette: 
There are a few strange ones, but the two main colors (that will be squared on the outermost sides are the two on the far right). One of them is my favorite (below) with gold strands of thread running along the yellow design on the orange. I had to try to remember that the squares of the quilt are mostly 2x2 inches, and so I wanted either a really concentrated design, or a really spread out design simply used for the coloring (like the crazy orange purple one that actually has a scaled dragon on it - but it will be too small to tell - thank goodness!) And then there is the really muted, subtle green to bring out the designs in other prints and tie it all together. Again, my favorite of the bunch: 
My second favorite, almost tied for first: 
One that I did not include a big picture of is the starry night-like turquoise colored fabric with gold specks. I love it. It fades from dark dark blues to light light teals all while having constellation-like yellow and gold specks spackling it all over. Then I have the stripes to tie it all together (except for the blues which I still had to have b/c they were just loved): 
If you've seen pictures from the Del Rio house (in old old posts, you saw our extremely dark green living room). We loved it. I love dramatic homes and flavors from the orient and far-east. Flavors in food yes, but also that can come alive in decor around the home. I'm not sure how this quilt will turn out, but I have some very high hopes. It's my first one... so you should not have high hopes! 

10 comments:

katherine said...

ooohhhh it looks like it will be very rich & colorful! how fun. i still haven't made my OWN quilt. haha. i think it's harder when your mom will do it for you! yikes.

{krista} said...

That's going to be so pretty. The colors are stunning!!!

C&C said...

that's awesome! i have always wanted to make a quilt. i need to wait til i'm at home with my mom so she can help me....plus she's the one with a sewing machine!

kris said...

Good luck Jayci- I bet it will turn out beautifully!

aubreyannie said...

ooh, i love those colors and patterns, jayci! i can't wait to see the finished product. way to be crafty!

Liz Ann said...

The fabrics look beautiful! Good Luck on your fabulosa project

Anonymous said...

HEY JAYCI IT IS JORDAN DELONG TESSA FOUND MY BLOG THE OTHER DAY AND THEN I WAS LOOKING ON HERS AND I FOUND YOURS! SO I JUST WANTED TO SAY HI AND GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR QUILT! I TRIED TO MAKE A BLANKET LAST YEAR A VERY SIMPLE ONE JUST TWO PIECES OF FABRIC PRETTY MUCH, IT DIDNT TURN OUT VERY WELL, I THINK IT MIGHT HAVE HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT I HAVNT TOUCHED A SEWING MACHINE SINCE I WAS IN YOUNG WOMENS THOUGH. IM SURE YOURS WILL TURN OUT A LOT BETTER! GOOD LUCK!!

Wendy Christensen said...

Love the colors of the fabrics - Your debut quilt will be splendid!! :)

Amy said...

Can't wait to see the finished product! I think it'll be a stunning quilt--your fabric choices are awesome!

Holly said...

I LOVE the fabrics and all the fun colors! I can only imagine what kind of masterpiece you will create with them...! Have fun, and be sure to post pictures of the finished product!