
Last Thursday was the annual Spouse's flight where all the wives get to take a C-17 flight just for fun. I was pretty nervous I was going to get air sick, but my stomach pleasantly surprised me and I had such a fun time. I knew it was a powerful air plane, but I was NOT expecting just how powerful it actually was. When the pilots hit the throttle (I'm not a pilot, so excuse my vernacular) for take off, we all jolted about 8 inches sideways. I was laughing so hard. Our legs were in the air and the look of sheer shock was on the girls' faces, not mine! I was enjoying it
too much. Above is the view when I went in to the cock-pit during the flight. Below and above where I was holding my camera are two bunk beds for sleeping on long flights for the pilots.

The two pilots were "hilarious" during their flight. When you put on the headset they would say, "it would help if I knew how to read charts," etc. Oh gosh. Not what you want to hear when you're DIVING into a canyon with water. I watch Lost though; I know how to survive a plane wreck. So don't worry.

At times I would get up and walk to the little port-hole windows to glance out and sometimes I would have to reassure myself that these guys DID know what they were doing because we would be SO close to the mountains. So close you could see the branches and animals and
everything in detail. With a plane this big, you wouldn't think it could get SO close to the ground during low-levels. These planes do low-levels at 200 feet! Can you believe it? And this is while flying through canyons and dodging mountains like this one:

Alright, maybe not like this one, because there are only 2 of these monster-mountains in the world. This is Mt. McKinley up close and personal. Here is a partial-view of the HUD (Heads Up Display) that the pilots get to use. A lot of the equipment on the C-17 is from the F-15s, like the HUD and also the stick they use to direct the plane. It is the only Heavy plane that uses a stick like the fighter planes. The pilots love it, and I wasn't expecting such a huge plane has such power and maneuverability.

When I got done with the flight, I called Mark and told him he has the coolest job in the world. I know it hasn't always been fun for him, with all the endless hours of studying he's had to do, all the scary dollar-rides and intimidating stand-ups, etc., and I'm not even mentioning the heck he experienced at the Air Force Academy. He really has pushed himself. I'm really proud of him, and wish I could be a pilot too! Without having to study. That's why they have spouse's flights! So we can bypass the studying and still have the fun.
15 comments:
You post so many cool pictures on this blog. I would have loved to take a ride in that plane.
How long are you up there in Alaska? Candace and I really want to come see the area.
Thanks, Brian! We are expecting to be here for 4 years, so any time. We love having visitors!
Woah! That is so cool! Those are some awesome pictures. It's cool that they do a spouses flight. I bet it helps you appreciate what he does for a living.
that's so awesome!
wow! That is just the coolest thing ever!!! I've got to experience the joys of hanging with my dh on the job, and it is a SNOOZE fest! LOL
Oh my goodness!!! I think hands-down you have the BEST location to do a spouse flight at!!!!! What gorgeous scenery you got to look at and what a blast to have fun pilots. The only spouse flight I've gone on so far was boring. Straight out to point B and back. Nothing fun inbetween, at the start, or the end. And, it was lovely brown Texas that I got to look at...I guess the lake was cool. Anyway, loved seeing your pics and reading your post :) Oh, and I am a TOTAL loser and will be mailing "something" tomorrow. I promise!!!
Wow, wow, wow. Im also coming to visit!! These are soooo stunning!!
WOW! YOU REALLY DO POST THE COOLEST PICTURES AND I ALWAYS LOOK FORWARD TO CHECKING OUT YOUR BLOG. IT IS BY FAR THE COOLEST I HAVE SEEN. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A FUN TIME!
That flight sounds like it was fun and funny - two GREAT elements in doing anything :)!! I'm proud of your hubby for all his hard work and passion to fly ... Thanks for sharing the adventure!!
What an amazing experience! I'm so jealous--I would LOVE to fly on a plane like that! My dad is a pilot, but not a cool pilot like Mark; he just flies commercial airlines. Anyway, I think that's so neat that you were able to do that! That's so nice that they do the spouse's flight so you can see what the boys get to do all the time. How fun!
OH MY GOSH! How cool is that?! I'm glad you got to experience it. How often do they have a spouse's flight? Geez, if we had the moolah to travel up there, I think we'd be there this weekend. Glad you're enjoying life! Love your esophogus!
how FUN, jayci! and what awesome pictures you took. i'm not sure i would be laughing, i might have been one of the wive's with a look of shock on my face. and green, too. flying is not so good on my stomache.
Ooooh, I wonder if they will do that with the KC-135. It sounds like so much fun. I would love to go up and do that. What a treat
that is the coolest thing ever! I would be so scared, but probably laughing too! Great pics and so interesting!!!!
ha! that's funny . . . i took that same picture out the cockpit! it's a cool plane, jason & i are impressed that mark flies it! we had fun at the air show . . . so are you guys ready to do dinner any time soon? -lisa
Post a Comment