
The morning on Friday, we re-boarded the train above. We got in the same car, letter C, and kicked two old people out of our seats. For which, I felt bad because they got mad at us! It is not fun when people get mad at you, especially when they're old and should be enjoying life. Goodness! After that encounter, my mood was lightened when I got to see the views from the other side of the train:

I'm not sure
where we were when I saw this cute little boat on the rainy lake, but I'm glad I got the shot. When we were about 2 hours into the train ride, and in the yummy dining car, I saw this
HUGE Matterhorn-looking mountain. It was just unnatural looking. It was different than any mountain I had ever seen. The first signal that it was just
HUGE was the snow
billowing off the sheer cliffs being hit by its own weather-system's wind. It was
Mt. McKinley, the
highest peak in North America, and the tallest mountain from base to top
in the world:

You are probably thinking, "No, Jayci, Mt. Everest is the highest in the world".. and you'd be right. Elevation-wise, Everest is the highest peak in the world. But Mt. McKinley is the biggest mountain you can see in this world from base to peak. Mt. Everest starts at about 13,800 feet and ends at approximately 29,000 feet; giving it only about 15,200 feet of mountain. Mt. McKinley's base is at about 1,000 feet and ends at 20,320; giving it
19,000 feet of sheer mountain.
HUGE. Did I explain it well enough? I am still trying to catch my breath after seeing it. These pictures do NO justice, it was the most bizarre looking mountain.

Below is more of the marsh-land of Alaska... with lilly pads! It was so sweet and simply beautiful after such a monstrously scary-looking mountain.

Mom and Dad, I miss you so much already, it was SO much fun having you here; I'm glad you came to visit. You two are getting funnier and funnier every time I see you. I love you!
10 comments:
Jayci...the train looks like it was an awesome expereince! I love all your pictures...I hope to get better at taking them. I love hearing about all of you and Marks Adventures! How is Buckwheat?
Wow, you are getting to see some incredible things!! You're making me think to our next assignment already and we're not even at Dover yet! ;) Thanks for sharing the gorgeous pics and keep 'em coming!! Oh, and your little item has yet to be "shipped" yet, it's been a little hectic around here, but it will go to the Post Office either today or tomorrow!!!
What gorgeous scenery! It's all so beautiful!
so beautiful! you got some really good shots. trains are fun.
So I have been looking for pictures to put up above my couch, and I think that I just found them on your blog. These are so gorgeous!! It is beautiful up there. Steve and I want to come visit next year!!
That is so beautiful!!! I have a postcard of this train hanging on my fridge from several years ago when my sister went on this same train ride. I am SO wanting to visit there more and more!!!
These are beautiful pictures!! Wow I so want to visit one day. It is gorgeous!
oh WOW! what beautiful pictures, jayci. i am so jealous of the scenery you see every day!
I'm glad that you are going on so many adventures up there! We love reading about them and seeing the gorgeous pictures! Do you do weddings and family portraits? If not you should think about doing some!
I didn't know that you knew the dixon's...small world...
Alec
holy crap. we are coming to alaska. for sure coming in the summer so we can adventure by day, and i can golf at 2am!
Post a Comment