
Today I hiked my first Alaskan hike:
The Dome. It was beautiful. It had been really rainy here the past week, so it really made if feel like I was in a Hawaiian rainforest (except for the glances of
Indian Snow and chilly breezes). There are a lot of pictures, so continue at your own expense of free time. The Dome is pictured above. Below is when we started out (after we found the correct trail, which took about walking a mile in the wrong direction):

While walking in the wrong direction, I spotted this and everyone thought I should take a picture, and I complied: A bear's track!! It's a black bear's paw. Notice the short, sharp claw? That is the signature paw mark of a black bear (it helps them climb trees). Later we actually found fresh bear scat, but I didn't take a picture of that because
that's just gross. I am glad I saw some though so I know what it looks like: it looks like an icky tar spill (in case you're ever in bear country).

There were a lot of weird looking trees that have been broken by strong canyon winds, or that fell because they were just old. I don't know what happened to this one, but here's a picture:

This was further back in the canyon while we were on the incline:

Growing up in Vegas, I didn't have a lot of these:

That had to be crossed by a bridge made from
stapled-in pallets:

This tree had amazing curly-cue bark, I'd never seen anything like it!

This plant was very tropical looking, I thought. What say ye?

Here's a neat little dried-up seeder:

Huge green leaves, another thing I cherished in the desert:

This is a plant called "
FiddleHeads" and they're actually edible! Julie said at girls' camp a couple of weeks ago, she had the girls pick them on their hike and they went back and fried them in butter. She said they were really good! I'm sure the butter helped:

Cute microscopic (almost) seed cones. They were so small, and almost everywhere:

We saw a huge bush with these little flowery things that looked like the had the potential to become berries. So, being the genius I am, suggested someone try one to see if it tasted like any known berry! Bonnie The Brave Blonde tried one, (just nibbled and tasted) and said it didn't taste like anything edible she'd ever had. Later, she also drank river water after she had us girls encourage and cheer for. She said it was the best water she's ever had! I believed it.

Once we reached the top, our views included: Mark's huge C-17 hangers on base (this is zoomed in to the max, sorry about the
noise - I tried messing with it, trying to make it a little better):

Here is the view of Anchorage. You can barely see Mt. McKinley to the left:

This is the valley-view behind us:

A cute, yellow sea-plane:

This white antler moss:

and these really small flowers.
Mauri, these are for you! :

The Dome Stats:
5.5 miles roundtrip hike
~2,500 foot gained elevation
One down, 49 more hikes to go!
9 comments:
Wow, what a gorgeous hike!! That antler moss is neat, and so are those little pink star-like flowers. Neat pictures!!!
All that unusual foilage reminds me of Hawaii, too! Beautiful shots. I'm glad you didn't come across that bear, too! Eeek!
i love all your pictures. Alaska looks gorgeous! oh yeah, and GO CELTICS! i loved it last night.
how fun! you're so adventurous jayci! and those little flower ones that someone tasted, we have all over here and i LOVE them. i think they are so beautiful, especially the insides of them. i'm glad you had a nice time!
Nature is always so beautiful, and you capture it so well on your camera. You really need to take up photography
I love all your pictures! It's so beautiful. Especially since us Vegas girls didn't grow up with anything like this. We are definitely going to need to come visit while you're living there.
SO beautiful. You are making me want to hike, but alas there are not many places here. Darn! But hike it up for us! we love outdoor adventures!
Im so sad I missed it. Are you going to do any of the monday hikes? I teach a class on tuesdays, so can't make those. . . Razz Julie for me, mine isn't working!
Oh my gosh...I can't get over how beautiful it is there. I am so glad you get to be surrounded by so much beauty. It only makes sense, since you are a beautiful person :)
Post a Comment