September 20, 2007

cotton



There are cotton fields here. Many of them, in fact, and there's something old-Americana about it, but not in the Cotton Eye Joe sort of way. The cotton here isn't yet ready for harvest. I'm anxious to see how that happens though. I'm wondering if the farmers stop watering the plants and let them die so the cotton balls are easier to pick, or if it really is just a seasonal plant that can't survive past September so it just dries up. Anyone really know?

A couple of days ago I needed some cotton balls to take off some nail polish. Mark had the car, so I texted him quickly to ask if he would pick some up on his way home from work. He half expected me to just go pick a couple cotton balls myself and use them. He was only kidding, because that would mean we advocate stealing, right? naaah, so instead of picking some cotton balls au natural, I decided to just snap some pictures. These aren't that great, (it was pretty windy) so these probably won't be the last. I'm already looking forward to the harvest season.

7 comments:

Wendy Christensen said...

I stumbled across your blog and love all the pictures ... Amazing about the cotton! Thanks for sharing ...

Holly said...

I don't think I've ever seen cotton like that...interesting! How are you liking Oklahoma so far? I'm amazed at how many places you've lived and will live! (It makes me feel like my life is boring!) :)

aubrey said...

how cool. those are really pretty!

Wendy Christensen said...

HI - I don't think we know anyone in common! It was truly a 'random blog bumping moment' ... How fun about your Uncle. I met this Producer and told him about my sitcom and he said: "Get me a film treatment and I'll see what I can do." I am NOT a film pro (just lots of ideas and creativity) ... so I researched online how to do one (a film treatment) and went from there. I would love to see something happen with the sitcom!! :) Thanks for visiting my blog and saying HI!! Happy Thursday to you - enjoy livin' in high cotton!!!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

Wow, this post made me really think about cotton. Isn't weird that fluffy stuff comes out of a plant? Anyway, such pretty pictures :)

Marie said...

These are really cool pics! I've only seen cotton while driving by it when I was stationed at Moody AFB (in Georgia). I've never seen it up close. It's neat to see how it grows on the plant. TFS (Thanks for Sharing)

Mars said...

SO COOL! I just went down to Safford (2 hrs away from my house) for Shawn's farewell and while I was down there we drove past huuuuge cotton fields. SO COOL! I met a girl @ our party we threw for him who was so fascinated by them that she picked it and had it in her pocket and I got to see it. Yes I'm a dork but it was the first time I've ever seen reall cotton from a cotton field. I thought it was pretty darn neat ;)