September 30, 2007

faith, family, and relief

I was surprised with how direct the messages were last night at the Relief Society broadcast. You all know what I'm talking about. We have probably all giggled at how the women of the church address us. But I was moved last night.

Sister Beck, the new General Relief Society President gave a wonderful talk about remaining strong and immovable. She said the Relief Society members are the best women in the world to provide relief to others. We can 'lift up and enlighten'. I know I have not done my part, but when I do find areas where I can help, even just a little, I have felt reassured with how wonderful the work is. She told us that the greatest work still lies ahead.

When she said 'the greatest work', I took it to mean, the most difficult, the most challenging, and also the most rewarding. As the world prepares for that great day, it will need a full-scale relief effort.

What a way to rally the troops, even if it means we just do our part more willingly in our tiny little families.

"There is a better way than the way of the world."

6 comments:

aubrey said...

ooh, i loved that quote. i had forgotten it. last night's broadcast was amazing. i loved all of the talks, but especially barbara thompson's talk. i can't wait till the transcripts are out.

Yvonne said...

Like you, I was so touched by the talks. I loved your last comment about doing our part more willingly in our families. You're absolutely right!!!

Marie said...

It really was a great meeting - I hope that I can just remember all of the things it inspired me to do/be. I loved that quote too.

Liz Ann said...

It was a good conference. I loved all of Pres. Monson's jokes. He was pretty comical that night. He made me cry too.

Holly said...

It's so neat that all of the women all around the world were able to hear the same message at the same time. It was an amazing meeting, and Relief Society is such a neat organization to be a part of!

The Olsen's said...

Sister Becks talk really resonated with me. I love what she said about, if we provide relief there will be sociality, but if we provide sociality there may or may not be any relief. It is time to go back to what Relief Society was intended for, providing service and aid to the world. Our bonds of love and sisterhood will automatically grow as serve those around us.
We miss you. hope you are enjoying Altus! What's your email address Jayci? Would you leave it on my blog. Thanks!