I make Mont's baby food... I do! So far he's only had bananas, sweet potatoes, and rice cereal. But today I was trying all sorts of mixes. I have this yellow squash (above) in the freezer, along side pears ready to spring into action.
Since he got his first stomach flu bug earlier this week (thankfully he's all better!), he has given up solid foods cold turkey style (hey.. maybe he'd like that):
Here is he denying rice cereal (even had apple sauce in it!). Soooooo... I brought out the big guns:
And he takes a few bites, till I trick him with a punch of rice cereal:
Then he zips his mouth shut... and won't even let the good stuff in again.
Then we try again later in the day...
but it's a fail. ... improvised bib still gets a good splashing.
So I try later in the day. ... and finally, with Mark dancing and doing other goofy things to smile, distract, and humor, Mont finally opens up enough for bananas and sweet potatoes (an old acquaintance). By the way, the only way he'll eat sweet potatoes is if the bananas are mixed with them to hide the flavor - or lack thereof? I think they taste just fine!
I'm up for ALL your suggestions. Please and thank you!




14 comments:
Sometimes when I see him I think he looks like Mark, but then these last photos I totally think you.
As far as baby food, try this website if you havent already.
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/
Thanks, Carli! I just printed out that chart! :)
My advices is don’t stress about it. If he wants to eat solids, he’ll eat them. Offer them, but don’t worry if all he wants to do is nurse. Mama milk is where he gets most of everything he needs.
How old is Mont? I read/my doctor told me, you can start rice cereal/foods around 4 months but they can be picky or they tend to get more constipated that young. So I didnt start Sadie until she was 6 months. I just nursed until then and still continued along with the food. So maybe he is just not ready even if he did it a few times without putting up a fight. If he is ready..cause mommy knows best... if you aren't already you can pump some milk to mix in with the cereal instead of water and make it pretty runny and slowly thicken it as he gets use to it. Also, try plain cheerios, they dissolve. We would give her a few to get use to them (and she LOVED them) then we would put one on the spoon on top of the food. Good luck!
**I think there is nothing wrong starting food early, its just what I did and heard from my pediatrician. Like I said before each Momma knows best for her baby!
Thanks Jess!
Mel - He is 7 months old. I waited until he was 6 months old as well. :) He ate rice cereal easily for the first 3 weeks, and I'd mix in breast milk, and he did like it (a lot!) - but then he got sick and tired of it. I'll mix in my milk with the sweet potatoes, but it's just not enough, I guess. :\
Hi! I don't know you but I was on Darci's blog looking at some of the blogs she reads purely out of boredom and found yours!
My daughter is only 3 months old so I can't speak from parental experience but I watched my niece from like 5 months on so I had this problem during the day with her. She REFUSED to eat anything but cereal with a spoon. So, what I did, was mash sweet potatoes that were steamed (and cooled) in with her cereal, or I would sit her in a high chair and let her mush it around with her hand and she would eventually eat it. I think it was a texture thing with the fruits and vegetables. Eventually, she would eat little banana cubes, cheerios, and steamed carrots the same way. Also, since you make baby food, there's this thing called a beaba babycook that steams the fruits or veggies and purees them. They are AWESOME, my best friend has one and www.wholesomebabyfood.com has awesome recipes. Anyhow, I know advice from someone who never had their own child that age is irritating, but I hope this helps. :)
I dunno, Jace...if you figure it out, help me out.
Callen actually never liked the cereal, so I finally gave up. Luckily she was always good about the veggies and fruits and then when we got to the mixed meals she wouldn't touch them (I tried them....they're gross) so I started blending up whatever we were having for dinner (if it was possible). I think you're doing great just keep trying, I love the pictures!! He is such an adorable little boy!! and good for you for making his food!!
I wouldn't really worry about it too much. Just keep trying. He isn't eating for nourishment right now anyway. The whole point is just for him to be getting the hang of this whole eating thing and eventually weaning him. As long as the nursing is going well, then everything is fine! Cohen will eat anything I put in front of him, but he definately prefers sweet potatoe (as I hear most babies do).... Maybe try adding some of that to the cereal? Good luck girl and don't stress! Him being happy and healthy is all that you should be worried about!
lol! that last picture of him is SO DANG cute! He is a good mix of you both! maybe we should plan a movie time again and count that for the month. so i'll check out what i have going k.
i wouldn't worry about it. have you tasted the rice cereal? i think it's blech. haha.
so much so that when it came time for mabel to eat, i just never bought the stuff. all i've given her in the way of cereal is cooked old fashioned oats and just recently cooked rice when we are eating rice with our dinner. {oh and chicken for the first time yesterday!}
mostly she eats bananas, apples, broccoli {mixed with apples}, peas and cauliflower. everything else she promptly spits up or later throws up. nice, huh?
what i'm saying? i think it's important to try everything. and try again. one day he might not like it but the next day or the next week, he will. and since he's been sick, he might just need some recovery time. nothing wrong with that at all! breastmilk is best anyway! good luck!
p.s. i love all these beautiful pictures!
All of my babies wouldn't eat very well after they got sick....Just keep trying. They both didn't like baby food either. Cardon would only eat my homemade baby food and not the jarred stuff. Be patient and i know it's hard not to worry but looking back it did nothing and they turned out just fine.....Just b/c they don't have a lot of fat on them doesn't mean they are getting enough nutrients. Do you still nurse? If so, then he is still getting TONS more nutrients then with the food.
Hopefully he won't continue his pickiness into childhood!! Although, my little brother lived exclusively off rolls until like 13, and he turned out alright.
Haha, my word verification is hashies. Maybe Mont would like some of those. Mmm, delish.
that picture of mont with the improvised bib is SOOO precious! he is just perfect! cuter &cuter every time i see new pics of him i think:]. i KNOW you are a great mom!!!
Post a Comment